• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Views on Sicily

Dear Faith,

We would be very interested to hear the opinions of a true expert on the current state of Sicilian food and wine. Talking to the locals, especially from the area of Ragusa (which Katia and I know best) there is very much the feeling of a revival - a rebirth. Producers are proud of their products, but not in a flamboyant way - rather a more calm and collected attidute. They are organising events, and getting some recognition. Especially the wine makers seem very confident with people like Planeta getting a lot of exposure. And some very innovative wineries, like COS are trying truly interesting techniques.

However, I wonder whether this buzz is simply a localised phenomenon that you feel when in the bubble (i.e. when in Ragusa) or whether it is truly taking place.

Looking forward to your reply,

Ronald and Katia

Ciao Ronald and Katia

You are right! There's a lot of exciting cooking going on in Sicily. A big emphasis on local ingredients, like the superior almonds and pistacchio nuts, great Sicilian vegetables like Sicilian broccoli, squash greens, fruit like fresh citron, stuff like capers and wild oregano, amazing ricotta and cheese, terrific bread, incredible wines. The Ragusa area has some interesting wines (love COS and Valle dell'Acata) and restaurants, and Modica and Noto are important gastronomic destinations. I'm crazy about La Madia in the unattractive city of Licata.

a presto

Faith

Dear Faith,

We would be very interested to hear the opinions of a true expert on the current state of Sicilian food and wine. Talking to the locals, especially from the area of Ragusa (which Katia and I know best) there is very much the feeling of a revival - a rebirth. Producers are proud of their products, but not in a flamboyant way - rather a more calm and collected attidute. They are organising events, and getting some recognition. Especially the wine makers seem very confident with people like Planeta getting a lot of exposure. And some very innovative wineries, like COS are trying truly interesting techniques.

However, I wonder whether this buzz is simply a localised phenomenon that you feel when in the bubble (i.e. when in Ragusa) or whether it is truly taking place.

Looking forward to your reply,

Ronald and Katia