• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mandarins

Are Gyul sold in the US? Are they called something else here? Are they similar to satsumas? Or clementines?
yes, yes, yes and yes...

i believe that clementines, gyul and satsumas are different cultivars. even gyul is a generic term. but they are similar.

the other day we ate some satsuma mikans from the japanese grocery my husband swore they were the same as gyul. and i noticed at the korean store that they sell mandarins labeled in korean as "gyul" with american names like "blue jay mandarin".

at our house, we cannot discriminate between all these mandarins.

we are philistines. :raz:

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

do you think grilling them could make them sweeter? sort of like roasting tomatoes?

I have some mikan that aren't particularly flavorful....

(or roasting garlic or onions!)

by the way, the ones we ate didnt seem any much sweeter than the other ones from the same batch that we ate cold... but this batch is a good, sweet one.

perhaps the difference would be noticable with the less flavourful mikan...

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

I remember coming home from school in the winter. grabbing half a dozen mikans and 2 chocolate chip cookies and rushing upstairs into my bedroom to eat and read a book! Perfect 12-year old bliss!

Now I'm in the USA and satsumas are in season. We even get the tiny, tiny ones that are simply exquisite, both in looks and in flavor. I still eat half a dozen at a time, as does my daughter who is equally excited about them.