• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creole Fricasse

davebr

Well Dave,

I believe that a good quality "fric" is what makes a good fricasee and it's just hard to find good ones anymore. :raz:

Actually, I have always been under the impression that what sets it apart from other traditional Louisiana stew type dishes is that "first, you don't start with a roux". The flour, or whatever kind of thickener you are using is added after the dish is started and is not browned. The chicken, rabbit, squirrel, (or even possum or whatever) is browned in a little oil and the vegetables and some stock are added, usually at this point some flour is added as well to make a smooth gravy.

Now, this method, of course, could potentially be a catalyst for a firestorm of opinions from others whose opinions may vary from mine-but this is the way that I was taught to do it and the way (generally) that I see others here make fricasee. So let the snarking begin.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I just had to pop in to say that I agree with Mayhaw Man. No roux to thicken the stew.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Ummm... Wait a minute. One of my favorite recipes from Emeril's Louisiana Real and Rustic is a beef fricasee that starts with a dark roux that is quenched with the beef cubes. Since this book was developed with Marcelle Bienvenu, I have to think that they know what they are talking about.

Now I am totally confused.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Ummm... Wait a minute. One of my favorite recipes from Emeril's Louisiana Real and Rustic is a beef fricasee that starts with a dark roux that is quenched with the beef cubes. Since this book was developed with Marcelle Bienvenu, I have to think that they know what they are talking about.

Now I am totally confused.

My Grandmpther and Mother made it the same way. I guess that's why I do the same. :biggrin:

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

Generally speaking, a fricassee is finished in its sauce, roux thickened or other doesn't really matter i would think. But wait, I forgot, we're talkin' about southern Louisiannan's, so its what ever they say it is.

Edited by Timh (log)