• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend in Saratoga

fatcatbrew

Mrs JPW and I make a trip to Chez Sophie a part of our annual trek to the Saratoga Jazz Fest. Every time we leave happy. A very comfortable environment and great cooking that you can imagine coming out of grand-mere's kitchen.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Going up this weekend for my yearly visit. Plan on trying Beekman St. Bistro and then just seeing what happens. As an ex skidmore student I've done a pretty good job eating my way through town and have to say, the Wine Bar really is near the tops as far as food in the downtown area but the atmosphere just doesn't fit at all, maybe it's just the neo-80s lighting on the sidewalk but I don't know. Also regarding Italian, no mention yet of Meastro's under the Adelphi Hotel. From my experience, it is far and away the best Italian around.

Going up this weekend for my yearly visit.  Plan on trying Beekman St. Bistro and then just seeing what happens.  As an ex skidmore student I've done a pretty good job eating my way through town and have to say, the Wine Bar really is near the tops as far as food in the downtown area but the atmosphere just doesn't fit  at all, maybe it's just the neo-80s lighting on the sidewalk but I don't know.  Also regarding Italian, no mention yet of Meastro's under the Adelphi Hotel.  From my experience, it is far and away the best Italian around.

Have a great weekend and welcome to eGullet! While I have not had anything less than excellent so far in my two visits to the Beekman St. Bistro, I can recommend a few items as specifically outstanding. The bruschetta with oyster mushrooms, the caprese salad and the roast duck were all totally satisfying bistro food. Their new wine list is small, but well chosen and fairly priced.

I would call Maestro's Italianish rather than Italian. I consider it more modern American with an Italian flavor. That is why I for one may not have mentioned it under Italian restaurants.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Doc, I have sent two couples to Beekman Street Bistro on your recommendation - both stay in Saratoga for the entire race meet. Both couples thought it was the best food that had in Saratoga in a long time. In fact, one of the couples has been back two additional times.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Doc, I have sent two couples to Beekman Street Bistro on your recommendation - both stay in Saratoga for the entire race meet. Both couples thought it was the best food that had in Saratoga in a long time. In fact, one of the couples has been back two additional times.

Excellent! :biggrin: Rich, do you know what they had?

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Excellent! :biggrin: Rich, do you know what they had?

Only last night's dinner - the special rabbit sausage, a salad of greens with pancetta and a poached egg, radicchio risotto and a pan roasted veal chop with a tomato confit - I think they said that was a special as well.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

It will be interesting to see how they do in the winter. I am encouraged by the fact that so far most of their traffic has been of local origen given that they haven't advertized at all.

Twitter - @docsconz

It will be interesting to see how they do in the winter. I am encouraged by the fact that so far most of their traffic has been of local origen given that they haven't advertized at all.

From what I've heard from the people who have frequented the place (haven't been there myself), the biggest drawback is the neighborhood. Some have described it as seedy and unsafe looking - especially when walking back to your car after dark. I don't know how valid this is, but the owner was asked if he was considering valet parking. His answer was non-commital.

This could present a problem after the track closes and there are less people in town and it will be getting dark earlier. Police presence is heavier during the race meet.

Rich Schulhoff

From what I've heard from the people who have frequented the place (haven't been there myself), the biggest drawback is the neighborhood. Some have described it as seedy and unsafe looking - especially when walking back to your car after dark. I don't know how valid this is, but the owner was asked if he was considering valet parking. His answer was non-commital.

This could present a problem after the track closes and there are less people in town and it will be getting dark earlier. Police presence is heavier during the race meet.

I don't think this is much of an issue. The area is being gentrified and is now billed as "The Arts District" with a number of nice small galleries in the immediate area. I certainly haven't felt threatened and close proximity parking hasn't even been an issue now. One reason that there are fewer police in the off-season is that there is less need for them. :wink:

Twitter - @docsconz

Just returned from a food filled weekend in Saratoga, the best of which was a cream of tomato soup with dill at Mrs. London's. My girlfriend had been living on this stuff for a year or so when she lived up there and this was my first taste. Pretty unbelievable. Very strong flavours and very clean taste despite the richness of the soup. Also heard good things about the Italian bistro that took over the space in the old firehouse on North Broadway. Has anyone tried this restaurant yet?

Just returned from a food filled weekend in Saratoga, the best of which was a cream of tomato soup with dill at Mrs. London's.  My girlfriend had been living on this stuff for a year or so when she lived up there and this was my first taste.  Pretty unbelievable.  Very strong flavours and very clean taste despite the richness of the soup.  Also heard good things about the Italian bistro that took over the space in the old firehouse on North Broadway.  Has anyone tried this restaurant yet?

Mrs. London's is a local treasure. Their pastries are particularly enchanting. The apple tarts and cannelets are especially enchanting to me. I can't go in there without walking out with some of them.

Il Forno Toscano is owned and operated by the same people who do Chiant:Il Ristorante. I found it to be very mediocre all in all, although the pizze were good. If one likes Chianti, one would probably like Il Forno Toscano. I am not a big fan of Chianti and consider it the most overrated restaurant in the region. Both restaurants are built around style rather than food substance IMO. The food is not generally bad. It just isn't particularly good, IMO.

Twitter - @docsconz

Just returned from a food filled weekend in Saratoga, the best of which was a cream of tomato soup with dill at Mrs. London's.  My girlfriend had been living on this stuff for a year or so when she lived up there and this was my first taste.  Pretty unbelievable.  Very strong flavours and very clean taste despite the richness of the soup.  Also heard good things about the Italian bistro that took over the space in the old firehouse on North Broadway.  Has anyone tried this restaurant yet?

I haven't tried it, but friends of mine who live there during the meet have eaten there a couple of times and rave about it.

Rich Schulhoff