• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morristown CraftMarket

Curlz

While I have no clue of how good or bad the Food Fest part of this craft show is, the crafts have always been excellent.

The event is this coming weekend (Oct 22-24) and according to what I read, they'll have "An extraordinary array of gourmet Fancy Foods, from sparkling cider to zesty jams and chutneys, outstanding herb preserves, specialty nuts, luscious cakes, enticing breads, spicy salsas, sensational shortbreads, distinctive coffees and teas, and more. $8 admission and free parking. More info at Morristown Craft Show web site.

Has anyone been to this in recent years? Is the Food Fest portion of it anything to get excited about? :blink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

It boggles my mind sometimes why local groups don't contact restaurants for events like this, especially when it's The Kiwanis group.....in my town.

Evie, if you could, have them call me and see what I can do to help. I certainly can donate some food.

Go Vikings!!! ooops Rams :huh:

Lou

Edited by Lreda (log)

Lou,

First of all, it IS Vikings. Just not Minnesota!! :raz:

According to the site, "for information regarding the Kiwanis Club of Randolph, please contact this year's Chairperson, Mrs. Ann Walters, (973) 895-4142." I don't have anything to do with the craft show, so unless you think it's better for her to get a call from a customer of yours, maybe you should just call her directly--then you can tell her what you're willing to do. Just know that they get thousands of people going through there each year, so be prepared for big quantities!

I'm still curious to know if the "Food Fest" is anything interesting, or if it's going to be that same booth I see at every craft show with the herb dips...anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :blink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I'm still curious to know if the "Food Fest" is anything interesting, or if it's going to be that same booth I see at every craft show with the herb dips...anyone? Anyone?  Bueller?  :blink:

-----------------------

We've been there in the past. Good sized show, lots of dealers, heavy on furniture, rugs, lamps, etc.

The food aspect is new. I don't recall anything beyond the usual dirty water dogs, chili, cheese sandwiches in prior years.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

The food aspect is new. I don't recall anything beyond the usual dirty water dogs, chili, cheese sandwiches in prior years.

That's what I wanted to know--thanks RP! I started going to this show with my mom back when I was in high school (longer ago than I'd like to admit), but I haven't been in at least 5 years, so I remembered the same thing--hot dogs and pretzels! I'm probably going to check it out.

Curlz

Went to the CraftMarket last night, as I found myself out in Morris County. In general, I was underwhelmed--by both the crafts and the 'food fest'.

The FF is a smaller separate area where they have about a dozen vendors---the only vendor I had seen before was the one with sparkling cider; these folks were at the Montclair craft show last weekend. Others included one with sauces and herb mixes for dips, hot chocolate, a pretzel guy with some decent combos (including pb-stuffed 'zels covered in dark chocolate--yum), a group selling cakes and other baked goods to benefit a women's abuse organization, someone selling numerous flavors of shortbread (just ok, imo), salsas, Amish breads (that looked gorgeous), and the ever-present spiced/flavored almonds in a cone. We didn't taste much, but it's a small sampling. There is food offered upstairs at the armory as well as at a cafe-type stand in the back of the main room. There is also a vendor just outside the FF area who is selling beautiful handmade wood spoons, 'schmear' knives, chopsticks and the like.

I was really surprised by the crafts--I suspect that some of those vendors have been showing there since the 80s! Lots of jewelry, glass sculptures, tons of chenille scarves/sweaters/jackets, some woodwork, pottery and baskets. If you go, at least print off the coupon from the web site I linked to upthread and save a dollar! Most of what's for sale is expensive.