• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jaymes

Jaymes

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I don't think the yellow part has a different flavor, so I'm wondering if your tongue is very sensitive to food coloring or if it's just psychological. According to this article,

It's not psychological. Could be the food coloring thing. There's a very unpleasant flavor to the whole piece of candy that I just don't detect in that one small bit. I suppose it could be a matter of quantity vs quality, though - as in, too much of a bad thing.

Next time I find myself in the immediate company of one of the odious kernels (as opposed to odious colonels, with which I've also had unpleasant experiences probably owing to too much of a bad thing), believe I'll do a little empirical investigating. 

Jaymes

Jaymes

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I don't think the yellow part has a different flavor, so I'm wondering if your tongue is very sensitive to food coloring or if it's just psychological. According to this article,

It's not psychological. Could be the food coloring thing. There's a very unpleasant flavor to the whole piece of candy that I just don't detect in that one small bit. I suppose it could be a matter of quantity vs quality, though - as in, too much of a bad thing.

Next time I find myself in the immediate company of one of the odious kernels, believe I'll do a little empirical investigating.