• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bistro de Breteuil, Paris

Underhill

We recently had an excellent dinner at the Bistro de Breteuil. The prix-fixe menu costs just 31€ and includes a Kir royale apéritif, three courses (with about a dozen choices for each), AND a full bottle of wine for two people.

We began with a dozen escargots each, served in the traditional butter, garlic, and parsley sauce, with piece after piece of excellent bread to pop the escargots on when conveying them to our mouths. The sauce was delectable, and we mopped it all up with still more bread.

Our main courses were tender racks of lamb with thyme, accompanied by very good gratins Dauphinois: delicious, and the Côte du Rhône that we selected from the wine list matched well with the food.

For dessert I had profiteroles au chocolate; the warm sauce was poured generously from a pitcher, and the profiteroles contained vanilla ice cream instead of the more usual custard filling. My husband selected crêpes flambéed in Grand Marnier, and he pronounced them first rate.

The bistro is lively, and service is quick and professional. On the night we were there it was full up; unfortunately the cold weather that evening precluded our dining on the terrace, which looked very pleasant.

The bistro de Breteuil (in the 7th) will be on our must-eat list for future trips to Paris.

Edited by Underhill (log)

That is a WIlly Dorr restaurant, if you picked upa business card you will see there are (I think) 5 others. They all have the same formula and are all a great bargain. The quality/value ratio cannot be beat.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris