• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Assorted Stuff

Redwinger

These are more impressions (no notes taken so I’m relying upon my increasingly failing memory) than notes on several wines tasted in various venues over the last week or so. None were decanted and most consumed within an hour of the bottle being uncorked.

1998 Constant Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)

This wine has been retailing for well North of $100 locally and it seems the distributor is offering steep discounts to unload it on any unwary retailer. Unconfirmed word is that it will soon be seen for $60-$75. A small group of the hyper-critical gathered to see what this wine was all about. In a nutshell, it won’t see any Curly $$$ even if the price droppedto $8.99. I realize that 1998 was a tough vintage in Napa for Cab, but this wine exhibited all the hateful qualities to the max. The little fruit that was present was green, under-ripe/stemmy and completely overwhelmed by the oak. Bleh.

1999 Alban Reva Syrah

Still quite reduced, although IIRC significantly less reduced than the last time I tried a bottle of this about 18 months ago. I’m part of the minority who finds a manageable quantity of reduction adds to the complexity and interest level of a wine so YMMV. Tar, blackberries, licorice, iodine and burnt rubber make up the flavor profile was intriguing and kept drawing me back to the bottle for just “one more” small pour. Good now, but I suspect even better in a few years.

1997 Spottswoode Napa Cabernet Sauvignon

One of the nicer Cabs I’ve tasted in a while. Everything seems to be integrating nicely and drinking quite well now. This would be a good choice for a ringer in a Bdx tasting. I liked it a lot.

1998 Le Vieux Donjon CdP

After reading various reports that the 1998 Donjon was awaking from its’ slumber, I decided to try one of these. Unfortunately this bottle had not thrown off the covers from the nap. Quite closed down on the palate with a solid core of acidity hiding what I believe to be enough underlying fruit to bode well for a bright future…just needs a few more years to begin to strut IMO.

1994 Clape Cornas

That is not a typo!! This was a 1994, not a 1993 Clape which has become my calling card at various tastings throughout the Midwest. Very accessible and drinking well right now. Enough funk to let me know this is a Rhone along with rich black fruit. I also noticed the cigar ash/ash tray smoky profile that I associate with this producer. Not as burly as many Cornas, but a joy to drink.

That's it for now.

Curly

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"