• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ThePieman

ThePieman

redundant information: additional info added.

There are a number of Bahn Mi recipes out there. The one I recommend is based on the one from "Real Vietnamese Cooking" p.28 by Tracy Lister and Andreas Pohl.

The recipe can be summed up as: AP flour 100% – Rice Flour 16% – Salt 3% – white granulated Sugar 8% – Dry Yeast 7% – lukewarm Water 91%

I prefer a little less salt in my breads and so normally knock the salt down to 1.5% - 2%

Edit ( Oops Didn't see Helen up further in the thread, my bad.) Helen's Recipes on Youtube does a good job of describing the baking process.

Addendum: Alternative recipe translated, from video of a commercial bakery in action, on Michael Duong's youtube channel.

1/2 an egg, 600g water, 1kg bread flour, 100g salt, 60g yeast, 60g Additives (Improver?) – cut 120g per portion. Proof in humidity cabinet at 35-40°C. Bake at 210°C for 12 minutes. [noted: no rice flour in this one :D ]

ThePieman

ThePieman

redundant information

There are a number of Bahn Mi recipes out there. The one I recommend is based on the one from "Real Vietnamese Cooking" p.28 by Tracy Lister and Andreas Pohl.

The recipe can be summed up as: AP flour 100% – Rice Flour 16% – Salt 3% – white granulated Sugar 8% – Dry Yeast 7% – lukewarm Water 91%

I prefer a little less salt in my breads and so normally knock the salt down to 1.5% - 2%

Edit ( Oops Didn't see Helen up further in the thread, my bad.) Helen's Recipes on Youtube does a good job of describing the baking process.

ThePieman

ThePieman

Helen's Recipes on Youtube does a good job of describing the baking process.