• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doorly's XO

Jim Cotter

No comparison. Doorlys is a fine small production aged rum, Goslings is a "black" rum used almost entirely for mixers.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

No comparison. Doorlys is a fine small production aged rum, Goslings is a "black" rum used almost entirely for mixers.

For some reason, from reading somewhere, I got the impression that Gosling's wasn't bad straight either.

Its not bad, but its known as a mixer for rum drinks more than anything else. Its heavily colored with molasses for use in a particular drink called the "Dark and Stormy" which is Goslings and Ginger Beer. In Bermuda they use Barritts Ginger Beer but in the US when I mix it I use Desnoes and Geddes (DG) from Jamaica. It would probably go really well with something like Blenheim Hot Ginger Ale as well. Goslings also mixes well with Coke and better yet, Root Beer.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Doorly's sounds like a sipping experience, savored slowly. I look forward to trying it.

It is definitely a sipper.

BTW if you like Spiced rums, have a look at Foursquare, which is imported by the same company, Spirit of Hartford and also comes from Barbados like Doorly's does.

http://www.spiritofhartford.com