• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sizzlers

deliad

I remember back in 80s in Delhi, sizzlers were very popular in Indian restaurants. It was a nice presentation to have the server bring the dish to your table sizzling with stream of smoke and sizzling sound behind. The only one I remember having was at one of the Le Meridien's restaurant and it was a veggie medley like Navratan korma or something similar.

Have not seen any Indian restaurants serving up the sizzler here. Did it just die down or what?

Maybe Bhasin and other restauranteurs have more information. Please share..

Sizzlers were first introduced in Bombay at Breach Candy by ............ S***, I cant remember the name, this is what happens when you relocate! Any way the restaurant was started by my friend Eruch Irani's father/Grandfather.

They are still popular and Yoko's has opened another branch at the Oshiwara prefecture in Bombay. I just love calling it that because Oshiwara sounds so Japanese. :biggrin:

By a coincidence I made Sizzlers at home two days ago - Grilled Paneer 'steaks' and Grilled Chicken breasts.

deliad, did the aroma waft across the seas all the way to you?

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

By a coincidence I made Sizzlers at home two days ago - Grilled Paneer 'steaks' and Grilled Chicken breasts.

deliad, did the aroma waft across the seas all the way to you?

Not yet!!. But I'll keep looking for it.

BTW, what fat did you use to sizzle the paneer, how much and how do you do it? A picture would be appreciated also next time when you make it.

Thanks,

I buy a restaurant size 1 kg chunk of Paneer and cut thick bread like slices from it and sear them on my grill pan to get cross hatch marks. Remove and give the same treatment to the rest of the veggies- broccolli, cabbage, carrots......

I keep everything ready and sizzle it before plating it, prefer it this way and I dont get large laundry bills. :biggrin:

Any ordinary oil is used but when I make it for my gourmet circle of friends I use olive oil. The other stuff is a choice of garlic, tomato ketchup, black pepper,soya sauce, coke, balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, red wine, coffee, sachimi togarashi, wasabi.......depends on the mood and the conditioning of my diners.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com