• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tartare

milla

Has anyone tried Tartare yet?  The menu is really interesting...

If we had the website, manresa, we too might salivate along with you ... :rolleyes:

Nothing here

www.tartarerestaurant.com :unsure:

"Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage."

Woody Allen

So annoying. I've seen so many high-end restaurant websites that still are under construction when the restaurant opens. I was just checking out the website for Antidote, the new Sausalito restaurant, and same thing! Geez, if you're going to put money into a website, use it properly!

Do not despair ... GG is on the way :wink: ... more on Tartare .. just to tide you over until their website is up and running:

article on Morrone's Tartare

Five namesake tartares dominate the starters. Morrone has brought along his habanero-infused version of ahi tartare .... He also offers beef tartare, ostrich tartare with cracked pink peppers and hamachi tartare with pickled watermelon, as well as a fruit tartare for dessert. .... Other starters are raw as well: two carpaccios (one fish, one buffalo), oysters and a salad. Soups include a sweet French onion with a Gruyere tuile and bone marrow, and garlic and parsley bisque with black mussel flan.

and a fruit tartare for dessert no less .... mmmm... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks GG. I remember that article, but it's good to have my memory refreshed. Still, I'd like a *real* menu. Hey, maybe you can volunteer to be the webmaster for all of these restaurants?

Which reminds me. I know have another decision to make, but maybe I'll start another thread...

Thanks GG. I remember that article

Hey, maybe you can volunteer to be the webmaster for all of these restaurants?

Already working diligently at a volunteer job ... but I sometimes do find some highly useful items to bring here to share at eGullet ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 1 month later...

Here is Michael Bauer's review of Tartare. I have not tried it yet, but I think he was overly harsh, to the point of some sort of vendetta. Anyone that's tried it have an opinion?

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Wow, 2 stars. I know Tartare can't be that bad. In fact, after reading his extremely personal review, I'm going to book a reservation right away (been meaning to go there anyway). Thanks Michael Bauer!

Too bad MB didn't take that NY Times position. He would have been right at home there (along with Amanda Hesser and the gang), and we would have been rid of him.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

• 1 month later...
Wow, 2 stars.  I know Tartare can't be that bad.  In fact, after reading his extremely personal review, I'm going to book a reservation right away (been meaning to go there anyway).  Thanks Michael Bauer!

I was talking with an acquaintance who's doing some consulting work with Morrone, and he said that a lot of people have called the restaurant with the same reaction.

For a different take on Tartare, here's the review from SF Weekly (from late October -- I just ran across it).

If that Bauer review were a post, I'd report it. Undue snarkiness.

Bauer like all other restaurant critics writes reviews that some people disagree with. I thought his review of Michael Mina was far more positive than I believe it should have been. Maybe his Tartare review was unduly harsh - it's hard for me to say since from reading his reviews its clear that my taste and his don't agree. His review is after all just his opinion.

It is still a good idea to go to a restaurant and actually dine there preferably more than once, before commenting on the quality or experience of a restaurant. who would review a book without reading it?

It is still a good idea to go to a restaurant and actually dine there preferably more than once, before commenting on the quality or experience of a restaurant. who would review a book without reading it?

I agree completely.