• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Friends Lake Inn

docsconz

Greg and Sharon Taylor have just closed on selling the Inn that they built up from a shell in the 1980's The FLI has become one of the premier destinations for food and especially wine in the Adirondacks. The Taylors plan on down-sizing a bit with a brand new B&B on the shores of Friends Lake. More info on the new ownership of FLI and the Taylor's new B&B as it becomes available.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Half the wine of the Inn's vaunted collection was sold to the new owners with the Inn. The full wine list is represented, although the cellar will not retain the full volume of those wines that it had. The remainder of the wines will be sold by the Taylors. For those who may not know, The Friends Lake Inn has been known for an exceptional wine program, getting the highest Wine Spectator Award for a number of years. It will be interesting to see how the wines get sold, whether by auction or in lots to individual buyers.

Apparently the new owners intend to maintain the style and quality of the Inn, although over the years much of the kitchen and wine output had Greg Taylor's stamp on it. That will surely change with time.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

They still have a fantastic winelist, the number of bottles of each selection has been halved. I'm not sure yet if the Taylors will be selling off the remainder of the winea and if they are how. When I find out more, I will post it here.

Twitter - @docsconz

As far as I know the staff will remain the same for the time being, including the chef, however, the chef at FLI was never a constant other than than they all have been more than competent. The driving force and unifying factor in that kitchen has always been Greg Taylor. He has always put his vision and stamp on the cuisine. The fine details as to execution , however, came from the chefs, which did provide for variation over the years. As a result I expect the cuisine to evolve stylistically a little more in the future than it has previously. I'm hoping that the quality will remain up to previous standards.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 5 months later...

I have. It was still good, but not quite as it was at its peak. It may very well have improved more since I was there last. I look forward to reading your impressions.

Twitter - @docsconz