• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tangerine

Tracey868

If you're staying at the Penn's View, have a glass of wine or 3 at il Bar at Panorama downstairs.

As for recommendations, I'll go with BYOBs.

Next, around the corner from Django (between 2nd and 3rd on South)

Matyson, between Market and Chestnut on 19th

Melograno will be closed, so that new favorite is out.

There's only a few Starr restaurants I could recommend. Tangerine wouldn't be one, but others may disagree.

A lot of people (FWIW, especially New Yorkers) seem to like Fork, on Market just west of 3rd. I can't say anything negative about it, and I also haven't been there.

Right next to Fork is Patou, and while I've only had drinks and a snack there, I did like it. Its decor is really cool too.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

If you love wine then you really can't miss the bar right in your hotel. They have a 120 bottle cruvinet and all wines are available by the glass. There are also interesting and "thematic" flights of wine available such as "Rhone Rangers", "Macho Cabs", etc. Panorama's bar at the Penn's View hotel is probably the very best "grownup" bar in the city, or almost anywhere.

I happen to like Tangerine, of all the Starr restaurants, because the food isn't an afterthought following the decor, the cocktails and the waiters' uniforms. But if I were only having one meal in Philly I'm not sure that would be my choice.

Perhaps if you told us a bit more about what sorts of things you like and what your budget for dinner is we could be more helpful.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

On Tangerine, I'm with Katie. It's a good restaurant, and my favorite of the Starr corral. But it's very pricey, and I don't know if I'd go on my own dime. Fork is a reasonable alternative; but if you have more specific eatin' desires, I'll bet we could come up with something even better for you.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

The Ill bar is a definate must as I love wines.

As for food we are open to

French style- we went to Caribou for dessert and late night drinks last time ( very nice)

Amercian

Italion

I was looking at Chloe but cant seem to find a menu and we love BYOB!

Nothing to asain or sushi.. Hubby is the picky eater !!

Thanks

Tracey

Thank you for all your suggestions.

The Ill bar is a definate must as I love wines.

As for food we are open to

French style- we went to Caribou for dessert and late night drinks last time ( very nice)

Amercian

Italion

I was looking at Chloe but cant seem to find a menu and we love BYOB!

Nothing to asain or sushi.. Hubby is the picky eater !!

Thanks

Tracey

If you like BYOs, then Herb's suggestion of Matyson is an excellent one. Menus are HERE. Also, if you like Latino cuisine, Azafran on 3rd Street between South and Bainbridge is consistently delicious and reasonable. The pulled chicken with arepas is a classic and their filet served with yuca fries sounds like a standard choice with a slight twist that your hubby might like. They also have the coolest bathroom ever, with a guest book! Very cute place. A review is HERE.

You could do worse for Italian than the restaurant at your hotel. In addition to having the world's best wine bar, the food is good too. I've always been fond of the homemade pastas - the Papardelle w/Lamb Bolognese Sauce with a glass of an earthy Rhone Syrah on the side does me right in cooler weather.

French style there's Caribou, which you've tried, Brasserie Perrier, or of course [shill] you could come visit me at Rouge. Our menu isn't online but please PM me if you'd like me to fax you a copy. [/shill] :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol