• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Royal Warsaw

lalaland

Has anyone tried this place? It's in Elmwood Park and some of the best Polish food I've ever had. Actually I had the Russian pierogies the other night and my husband had what was called the Warsaw plate with a mix of different pierogies and stuffed cabbage, etc. It was all so good, I can't believe I couldn't find it on eGullet!

The menu was a little weird though, now that I come to think of it. They also offered a cheeseburger and pasta with vodka sauce...But don't let that turn you off. The Polish stuff was good!

It is off Route 46 - River Street exit , heading towards Garfield as oppose to Ridgewood, opposite the Passaic River... immediately on your left at the exit .

I was there in March or April - they have a very active bar scene, and make a strong (not a complaint) cosmo.

As for the food, we were three, what I remember were low prices large portions and "interesting" service.

There was a pierogi special the night we were there, of course ordered, heavy, plump dumplings, one with cheese, a kraut and cheese and a pork filled options, a very full plate and again this is by memory, somewhere between $10- 12.00.

Most options were between $8.00 - 15.00)

I had a fish option, brining back no specific memories, and another member of our party had a pork dish that gave her leftovers for lunch and dinner the following day.

I mention "interesting " service because I ordered whatever the chicken-vegetable soup was and received a delicious pork multi legume soup. When I questioned the server about the mix-up she told me, "I thought you would enjoy this better"It really was delicious and when I go back I know I would trust her with my dinner selections.

When it was time for dessert, we asked what would she recommend and carefully she whispered, "not today" we had tea and the check, and feeling very satisfied with our meal that included very good bread and a bland iceberg salad, that was enough.

The only reason I have not gone back is the smoke. We were there very early (5:30ish) and by the time we left the nonsmoking restaurant which is off the smoking bar section , I was so overcome with smoke I truly struggled (I have a lung condition) my guest were fine.

I am sorry I forgot to post afterwards...

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Yes, service was weird and we did have to walk past a smokey bar area to leave, but if you go early enough, you're not affected. I wouldn't bother with dessert either...nothing memorable...

But, if you need a pierogi fix, this is a great find and SO cheap. I think it was $7 for my Russian Pierogi plate...The only thing I didn't like was that it came with cole slaw and it wasn't separated from the pierogis...

And the drinks are definitely strong...