• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN -- 2001 Neal Family Cabernet Sauvignon Napa

tjaehnigen

Tasted 7/17/04 at the DC Crü event at The Caucus Room

Nice stems (some unknown germanic sounding name producer)

Just basic notes as we were having too much fun

This is a wine waiting to reveal itself to you. Shrouded by tannins it guarded its secrets well only showing good structure and balance to you wrapped in some blackberry coulis. I kept this is the glass for a long time, I think all the way to dessert to see if it would open further, but it is locked up tight. This will, someday, be a super wine. Sit on them if you have them.

This is going to be a knockout, but I think it is hard to predict how much of a knockout. I’ll give it 91+ TJ points for now.

First post here...

I've had the 2001 Neal cab on a few occasions. I've even visited the winery and tasted through several 2002 barrel samples. And I'm still waiting to try something I can tolerate for more than one sip! The folks at the winery were quite nice, though, and I bought a bottle of 2001 cab out of courtesy to them, even though I couldn't stand the stuff.

I know these wines have their admirers (mostly on the wine board you advertise in your signature), but to my tastes they are overripe, extremely oaky, and their alcohol levels burn the nose and palate. I suspect the only way I could drink them is if they were very cold (40-45F).

As for ageability, I would bet that the 2001 cab will be a stewed, alcoholic mess in 10-15 years, as would most any other cab with 15.3% alcohol...

Mark

I'd also like to welcome you, Mark!

I feel a bit guilty -- the Neal Family vineyards are a mere stone's throw from where I am and I have yet to get there and taste.

I must admit surprise that you buy a wine you can't stand "out of courtesy." It begs a general question -- does one feel obligated to purchase just because one is given a tour and/or barrel taste? What compelled you to purchase a wine either their $45 or even $80 cab you didn't like?

Yikes! I already sold the 2 cases I got of the '01 bottle by bottle. People raved about the wine.

Tj: The glasses at Caucus Room are made by Schott-Zwiesel. They are very sturdy and very reasonably priced.

Mark - I have not had the pleasure of dining in your restaurant, but from your posts and other things I have read it does not sound like a 15+% alcohol, just released Napa Cabernet Sauvignon is the ideal match for your cuisine. I mean this is Amarone territory, but at least they have to dry the grapes to get there.

I must admit surprise that you buy a wine you can't stand "out of courtesy." It begs a general question -- does one feel obligated to purchase just because one is given a tour and/or barrel taste? What compelled you to purchase a wine either their $45 or even $80 cab you didn't like?

There were a number of factors which compelled me to buy a bottle when I visited Neal. The folks there were accommodating when I called to schedule a visit, and the visit itself was quite pleasant. The only problem was that I didn't like a single wine I tasted! Since I know a number of people who like big, oaky, alcoholic wines like the 2001 Neal cab, I knew I could always bring the bottle to a tasting or give it as a gift. And if they're not a current customer, I do feel it's good form (though not required) to buy something from an appointment-only winery when one schedules a visit. Your mileage may vary...

Mark

Yikes! I already sold the 2 cases I got of the '01 bottle by bottle. People raved about the wine.

Tj: The glasses at Caucus Room are made by Schott-Zwiesel. They are very sturdy and very reasonably priced.

Thanks, MS. That's it. They are quite decent stems, to be sure.

I thought this wine was just too tight to properly evaluate, but it has the makings of something really good that will come together over time, IMO. It did not taste overly alcoholic to me at all, BTW.

I do feel it's good form (though not required) to buy something from an appointment-only winery when one schedules a visit. Your mileage may vary...

Mark

I asked because the winery I work at (a stone's throw from Neal) is also an appointment-only establishment. As we speak, I am building an Excel spreadsheet on how many guests we see who buy vs. who does not buy. It is not a given and when I get a reasonably accurate number, I'll post it here. I could guess that 60-70% buy wine, but it would only be a guess.