• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buns - Mangalorean

gingerly

hi suncoupons-if Suman can't find one, i came across a recipe in my south canara cookery book for 'buns' and 'mangalore buns'and will be happy to post them-just need a little time to take care of things that are piling up!

thanks Monica-i think!is it just me or are there some very suggestive thread titles around today?!

so here from the south canara cookery book by kadambila saraswathi,are

buns

6 cups of flour

3 bananas

4 tsp sugar

a pinch of salt

1/2 cup ghee

1/2 tsp baking powder

oil for deep frying

mix all the ingredients and knead into a stiff dough.shape/make into thick,flat rounds of 1 1/2" to 2" dia.deep fry.the author says if the dough is made in the morning,it can be fried for a teatime snack.sure.

mangalore buns

1/2 kg of flour(same author-different measures!)

3 bananas

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup curd

1/4 tsp salt

2tsp cumin seed

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 litre coconut or other oil for frying

mix all the ingredients except the cumin and oil.knead to a stiff dough and set aside for 8 hours.mix in the cumin seed and form into small ,round puris and deep fry.

next rainy day comfort food!

now we need some feedback on how these are meant to look.i can't figure out if you're supposed to roll these out or just form them by hand like vadais.suncoupons,Suman?

damned if the very next recipe isn't for halubai!i see trouble ahead..or should that be behind..? :biggrin:

Thanks gingerly for posting the recipe. The second version seems like what we would make, although the addition of cumin seeds is news to me. You roll it out like pooris - some people make thicker discs, others like me prefer to roll it out thinly. It is not eaten like a sweet and there should only be a hint of sweetness in it. I must thank Savita for reminding me I haven't made this in ages - so guess what's for breakfast on Sat.? I thought of posting the recipe after I'd tested it, but now you don't have to wait that long.

Is there any suggestion in the book as to what's to be eaten with it? At my place they eat it with pickle, in the hostel where I stayed during my college years they used to give us Kissan mixed fruit jam with it and at my husband's place they serve it with a green chillies and coconut chutney, so I'm curious to know what the traditional accompaniment is.

Suman

Suman,all the author writes is that these will puff up and become crisp and will keep in an airtight container for a week(how likely is that?!)a quick search shows some other recipes that include a small amount of besan in the dough-is that something you recall? also one posted says to serve them with chilli sauce.the second recipe reminds me of something i once ate at a small bakery in kerala-looked like a large,really oily cake and you could buy it by the slice.better than it sounds and it helps to be really hungry!

suncoupons,i think i should post this on the indian sweets thread.maybe Monica(who has forsaken us for more glamorous places!)can confirm that?! :biggrin:

i am baaaaaaaaackkkkkkkkkkkkkk :wacko::laugh::laugh:

yup!and burning up the boards!we want details!

oh i know-wait for the official piece hmpf. :wink::biggrin: