• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lewis Cellars

ctgm

My dad just flew back from Anchorage and brought me a some Lewis Cellars Cabernet.

Is this any good - something I have not come across before in the UK. I think that he said that it cost $56 so am hoping that it should be quite a nice drop.

Any info appreciated

Lewis Cellars

Back when I was buying California wine that wasn't zinfandel, this was a Cabernet a gravitated toward. And at a tasting I hosted a couple of years ago, the 1993 Lewis Cab showed incredibly well, overshadowing wines of more-written reputations from supposedly better vintages.

My first experience was with a wine that wasn't even a Lewis Wine. In 1991, Oakville Ranch Vineyards bottled a Cabernet Sauvignon with a "Lewis Select" designation. I still have a bottle of this that I should open pretty soon. In 1992, Randy Lewis came out with his own label, but the 1992 Cab had an Oakville Ranch designation.

I've not had recent vintages of the wine, so I can't comment as to whether or not the style has changed. But the ones I've had have been nicely balanced, and matured well.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I'm very fond of Lewis Cabernets and have some 97 reserves left over. You most likely have a bottle of the regular Cab which is almost as good and a much better buy. They are the typical Cal Cabs - packed with juicy fruit, spiced oak, and enough tannin to keep it interesting. The best part is they are very approachable upon release and good for 8-10 years after.

edit sp

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

I'm a big fan of Lewis wines. Randy has become a friend, too. Helen Turley was the early winemaker at Lewis. The Lewis Napa Valley syrah is worth looking for. It is spectacular.

How's the Rhone blend? (Cuvee L or something I think?)

I'm a big fan of Lewis wines. Randy has become a friend, too. Helen Turley was the early winemaker at Lewis. The Lewis Napa Valley syrah is worth looking for. It is spectacular.

The Cuvée L is the flagship meritage. It is cabernet sauvignon and merlot with a small percentage of cabernet franc, I believe. It is quite expensive. The Rhone blend is delicious, if unorthodox. The cepage is syrah, merlot and cabernet franc. It's called Alex' Blend. Very fragrant, good weight on the palate, chocolate mid-palate, excellent finish. Randy's 2001s are the best wines they have made so far, IMO.

Mark

The Cuvée L is the flagship meritage. It is cabernet sauvignon and merlot with a small percentage of cabernet franc, I believe. It is quite expensive. The Rhone blend is delicious, if unorthodox. The cepage is syrah, merlot and cabernet franc. It's called Alex' Blend. Very fragrant, good weight on the palate, chocolate mid-palate, excellent finish. Randy's 2001s are the best wines they have made so far, IMO.

Aaaaah, Alex Blend..thanks

Minor clarification -- If you are looking for it in print and not vocally, you will find the Rhone blend bottled as Alec's Blend.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero