• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquorcicles

Complete2L

The WSJ ran an article on June 3rd on liquor popsicles. Being a big fan of both popsicles and liquor, I want to see if anyone has any ideas on how to construct such a concoction as the proprietors of the treats are extremely tight lipped.

Please share your ideas on how to get alcohol to freeze as well as any recipes you may have.

"I believe it was Socrates who said, ‘I drank what?’"

The WSJ ran an article on June 3rd on liquor popsicles.  Being a big fan of both popsicles and liquor, I want to see if anyone has any ideas on how to construct such a concoction as the proprietors of the treats are extremely tight lipped.

Please share your ideas on how to get alcohol to freeze as well as any recipes you may have.

My only attempt at a frozen liquor based concoction was a Honeydew and Vodka sorbet. It remained too soft. It did however, make for some very tasty adults-only Slurpees! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I don't have an actual recipe but I did make some of these a few years ago. I used frozen concentrate lemonaid and white wine and I think some pureed strawberries. What I learned is that you can't use too much alcohol or it will just stay slushy and to make sure that all of your other ingredients are ice cold when you blend them together. Hope this helps a little.

Melissa

The WSJ ran an article on June 3rd on liquor popsicles.  Being a big fan of both popsicles and liquor, I want to see if anyone has any ideas on how to construct such a concoction as the proprietors of the treats are extremely tight lipped.

My only attempt at a frozen liquor based concoction was a Honeydew and Vodka sorbet. It remained too soft. It did however, make for some very tasty adults-only Slurpees! :biggrin:

That's because the freezing point of ethanol is lower then that of water!

regards,

trillium

And sugar also lowers the freezing point, so if you add liqueur or other sweeteners, you're making it worse.

If you want something to freeze solid, it has to be mostly water, with the liquor and any sweet elements only there for flavor.

If I were you, I'd start with something like a margarita, then add an equal amount of water and see how it freezes. From there you can increase or decrease the water.

Also remember that something frozen solid will taste less sweet than something merely chilled.

• 4 weeks later...

I read that there is powdered alcohol on the market now--perhaps the alco-pops were made using that?

I just had another thought...what does gelatin do when you freeze it? Perhaps a small amount of gelatin (or some other binder) might give pops some stability.

I realize my suggestions do not sound tasty...

morda

I just had another thought...what does gelatin do when you freeze it? Perhaps a small amount of gelatin (or some other binder) might give pops some stability.

A friend of mine suggested this while making Jello shots last weekend. I am going to try it out and see what happens. (Probably this weekend.)

If they can make Jellopops and Jello shots, I'm figuring it's worth a shot at combining them. Hopefully the gelatin will suspend the alcohol and let the rest freeze.

:biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

Alcohol has been frozen (or at least been integrated successfully into a Popsicle.) I am still tweaking the recipe to determine what the specific variable(s) are that make it possible and hope to publish the results soon. :biggrin: