• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RONCHI DI MANZANO

Susan in FL

We have a bottle of this Italian white wine. I don't know what all the words mean, and I'm hoping that someone can tell me something about it. I know wines fairly well, but I've never learned to read the labels of all the Italian wines. What would be a good food to have with this wine?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

The wine comes from Friuli in NE Italy. It's a region that arguably makes the best white wines in Italy, and some would say beyond. This particular wine is a blend of sauvignon blanc, tocai friulano, chardonnay, and picolit. The blending wines are handled separately - all of them fermented and aged in oak except the sauvingon blanc, which only sees stainless steel - then blended when finished. I don't believe this wine is produced every year, but I could be wrong.

As the tasting note from Wine Spectator suggest, this will be a full bodied white wine, and I'd have it with somethng that has a rich sauce, whether that be fish, chicken, or pasta.

If you can read Italian, check out the Ronchi di Manzano web site.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero