• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zoë

Rail Paul

Wilfrid's excellent list of 50 restaurants reminded me I haven't been to Zoe. Walked past it, looked interesting, but I had something else to do.

Anybody have experiences or suggestions about Zoe?

Thanks

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I must have gone there around late September/early October last year, because it was just after the area below 14th Street got opened up again, and I felt like supporting a downtown restaurant.  They had very recently installed a new chef, overhauled the menu, and - I think both because of a certain re-launch mood, and in response to adversity - were really working hard at hospitality, service and everything else - so I had a good time.   It's a lively place, with tables fairly close together, but not too noisy.  A rough description of the cuisine would be traditional American dishes, but with interesting and unusual accents.  Example:  short ribs (of course), but with a garnish of rock shrimp.  Kind of surf 'n' turf.  I found it very successful at first, but by the last few bites I was pushing the shrimp aside and eating the beef.  Nice try though, and it's certainly a place I mean to go back to quite soon.

I was pushing the shrimp aside ... it's certainly a place I mean to go back to quite soon.
Okay, a little out of context. ;)

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 8 months later...

The new chef at Zoe is Tim Kelly. I only know this because up until this year, he was the chef at The Painted Table, here in Seattle. One of my absolute favorite places in town. I'd love to hear what people have to say about his work at Zoe.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Sunday Night Dinner at Zoe: Squash soup with cilantro oil and tamari infused pumpkin seeds: nice soup with a zing from the cilantro oil which may have been made with chilie oil, the tamari pumpkin seeds added a nice contrast.

Entree: Seared skate wing with creamy lentils: nice dish but perhaps just a little too much butter in the entire dish as a whole. I'm sure the fish was seared in clarified butter and with the creamy lentils it was a bit heavy on the palate. But it all went down well with a '99 Zin from Rocking Horse Vineyards.

Dessert: a scoop of each: concord grape and quince sorbet and butternut squash ice cream. Zoe has always done a nice job in my opinion. May Chef Kelley and the Zoe team "live long and prosper" !

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??