• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perse denounces Pavie critics

Craig Camp

It's odd, in that he is clearly trying to make a distinctive wine, and yet seems surprised that it polarises opinions.

He oftens speaks about the methods and techniques he employs, yet rarely speaks about why these are appropriate for his wine. I am not saying that he is wrong, or they are not appropriate, I just find it odd for instance why he doesn't explain why the burgundian technique of cold maceration should be used at Pavie.

Perhaps it should, I don't know, but his response seems to be that it is a good thing in Burgundy so...

there are other examples.

his indignity seems misplaced, he has great publicity, great sales, and now he wants everyone to think the same. I think you sacrifice the first for the last point don't you?

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

The cynic in me says he's doing this just for the pub. Parker is largely responsible for putting him on the map. As long as Parker continues to like the wines, why should he care what anyone else thinks?

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

He denounces ‘English’ wine critics as reactionary, suggesting some ‘would have us go back … to a time when they feel Bordeaux wines were made the way they should be

Can someone explain what Parker means by the above?

As an aside, being an English merchant, I tend to side with JR on this one, but then again I always have had a suspicion that what RP tastes is different to what I taste!

He denounces ‘English’ wine critics as reactionary, suggesting some ‘would have us go back … to a time when they feel Bordeaux wines were made the way they should be

Can someone explain what Parker means by the above?

I think it's rather simple,

bordeaux is now being made the way he would like to see, and is accusing others of preferring them in any other way.

What I find perhaps most disingenous (there should be a league table on this one) is all the references to how 1947 cheval might have tasted, and in turn the implication that this wine (insert perse vintage of pavie) is of that calibre.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?