• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aix-en-Provence

Gavin Convery

A popular destination which I will be visiting for the day shortly.

Do any locals or others have any recommendations for lunch on a Monday (I know!)

Please feel free to add more general recommendations for Aix also.

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

My wife and stayed near Aix on our honeymoon a few years ago (1998). One of the most memorable meals for our trip was in Aix at Clos de la Violette. They have a website: Clos de la Violette which tells me the chef & owner is the same. I think it is a Michelin one or two star. We still talk about the scallop dish my wife ordered as a first course. Not only was the food good, but the service was quite warm while still being "proper."

I do not know if they are open for lunch, or if they are open on a monday, but if not, file it away for future reference.

I do not think we ate anywhere else in Aix.

Have fun.

Charley Martel

Charley Martel

A wonderful place, open Mondays, is the Moulin de Lourmarin, about 30 minutes from Aix in the dreamy village of Lourmarin. A true destination place, I believe Jonathan Day has written extensively about the place, and how he goes out of his way to go there.

Moulin de Lourmarin

rue du Temple

Lourmarin

04 90 68 06 69

We loved both the Clos(tho a bit too formal) and the Moulin. I also like the Regalido in Fontveille. Chez Bru in Eygalieres, Vaccares in Arles

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

Chez Bru in Eygalieres

We stopped for lunch at Chez Bru several years ago on our way to Marseille to meet friends. We stopped on the basis of a GualtMillau selection of the chef as an up and coming chef to be watched. We greatly enjoyed lunch by this young Belgian serving his take on Provencal cooking.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

A wonderful place, open Mondays, is the Moulin de Lourmarin, about 30 minutes from Aix in the dreamy village of Lourmarin. A true destination place, I believe Jonathan Day has written extensively about the place, and how he goes out of his way to go there.

Moulin de Lourmarin

rue du Temple

Lourmarin

04 90 68 06 69

The Moulin is closed on Mondays -- which is one reason we went to the Auberge de la Fenière -- report is here.

Food was good, some of it very good; wine list excellent value, service sometimes reminiscent of Fawlty Towers. Well worth a visit, though.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

A wonderful place, open Mondays, is the Moulin de Lourmarin, about 30 minutes from Aix in the dreamy village of Lourmarin.  A true destination place, I believe Jonathan Day has written extensively about the place, and how he goes out of his way to go there. 

Moulin de Lourmarin

rue du Temple

Lourmarin

04 90 68 06 69

The Moulin is closed on Mondays -- which is one reason we went to the Auberge de la Fenière -- report is here.

Food was good, some of it very good; wine list excellent value, service sometimes reminiscent of Fawlty Towers. Well worth a visit, though.

Actually the Moulin is open on Mondays. It is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at least part of the day and the hotel is open even during those days unless they have changed that. Once when we were there we asked them where to eat the day it was closed mostly to see if they recommended la Feniere, but they did not. Rumors of rivalry between the two seem correct.

Maybe it was when they had their annual closing in February that you passed by.

When my glass is full, I empty it; when it is empty, I fill it.

Gastroville - the blog

Chez Bru in Eygalieres

We stopped for lunch at Chez Bru several years ago on our way to Marseille to meet friends. We stopped on the basis of a GualtMillau selection of the chef as an up and coming chef to be watched. We greatly enjoyed lunch by this young Belgian serving his take on Provencal cooking.

I have also had very good experiences from Chez Bru and have warmly recommended it on egullet before. But the last two meals there, the latest the last week, have been so uninspiring that I do not think I will return there again at least not any time in the near future. Sure as Robert Brown says, there are no safe harbours, but the decline here cannot only be explained by a poor day. Last time the food was so nasty that it was impossible to enjoy a 99 Lafon Monthelie, although a bit young normally delicious wine. Even the cheese service was poor, which has not been the case here before.

Edited by Jellybean (log)

When my glass is full, I empty it; when it is empty, I fill it.

Gastroville - the blog