• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parchment in Seattle

This is kind of a longshot, but you're a resourceful bunch.

I am sick of buying rolls of parchment paper. They're expensive and won't lie flat. So I want a box of parchment sheets, which come in full sheet pan size. A full sheet pan won't fit in my oven, so I intend to cut them in half, which I figure will still be more convenient than trying to tear off the right sized piece of Reynolds.

A few places online sell a box of 30 sheets for like $4, but because they're restaurant supply, they have a minimum order, and shipping is expensive. Last time I was at Dick's they didn't have any. I called Bargreen-Ellingson and they had a box of 1000 sheets for $45, which is a great price but would last me several lifetimes.

So: Does anyone know where I can pick up closer to, say, 100 than 1000 parchment sheets? Is this something my local bakery might be willing to sell me, or are they all about the silpats these days? Cash and Carry, maybe? I need the silicone-coated goodness.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

A few inches of parchment is about a thousand. Sorry.

Why don't you stop by your favorite restaurant and ask them if they have some. Good restaurants that make their own bread and desserts are your best bet. If they do, ask to buy some.

If you're nice and you have dinner they may just give you a hundred sheets. It's only about 4 bucks for them...

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Have you thought about reusable parchment? I don't mean silpat. The material that I use is only slightly thicker than parchment and comes in a sheet. I bought it at one of the kitchen stores several years ago (I think it was German made) and I have seen another product like it at "The Mrs. Cooks" just recently. I cut it to fit all of my sheet pans and cookie sheets as well as 8 inch and 9 inch cake pans. I have been using it now for about four years and it cleans up easily and can be stored flat or rolled up. It works wonderfully and is not very expensive once you consider how often you use it over a period of years.

There is a new product on the market cut specifically for the bottom of 8 and 9 inch cake pans but I find that this is heaver than the reusable parchment that I have been using and seems to retard the browning and baking of the bottom of the cake, consequently I have stopped using it.

Edited because I checked the Mrs Cook's in U village and the product that they have is called Super Parchment and its 6.75 for a 13 X 17 sheet. It comes from a company called "Kitchen Supply".

Edited by FWED (log)

Fred Rowe

olivina, that would be wonderful, thank you. PM me and we'll figure out the details, which will of course involve me giving you some sort of home-baked good.

FWED, I've tried a reusable parchment type of device before, but probably not the one you're talking about. For some reason, though, cleaning both the pan and a layer of parchment or silpat is a major mental block for me, and I love being able to just toss a piece of parchment, trees be damned. Also, I like being able to cut parchment to line the bottom and two sides of a brownie pan or the like.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May