• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastis

yvonne johnson

Met Simon Majumdar for brunch the other day. Now, I fully appreciate the warnings on web sites listing the many dangers associated with meeting cyber chums in REAL life. :)

Only joshing. It was a delight.

Pastis was quite good too (9 Ninth Ave, 929-4844). Steak was the popular dish. Steak and eggs for Simon, eggs and bacon for our chum Stephen and steak frites with béarnaise sauce for me and husband.  Very decent carafes of gigondas to wash it down

As for comparisons with Balthazar. I like them both. P is less noisy, but still a little cramped. B has less natural light. My husband preferred his steak at B. The fries are really excellent at both P and B (and rival those at Les Halles). The staff at B seemed a little more relaxed. I wish P had real wine glasses rather than tumblers.

For brunch I thought it was what the doctor ordered. Maybe not what Simon's low carb MD had in mind.

• 4 years later...

I colleague and I visited Pastis the other night. It was his idea. Mind you, I have nothing against the place, but I've seen the long lines plenty of times, and I doubted that it would be worth braving the crowds. However, he made a 7pm reservation, and at that hour the restaurant was only just beginning to fill up.

My colleague mentioned that Pastis seems to be one of thos iconic New York restaurants where you're supposed to see celebrities—or that's the theory, anyway. We didn't spy anyone famous. He mentioned that he's watched Sex and the City only four times, and twice the characters dined at Pastis.

Well, what about the food? Frankly, we didn't get what all the fuss is about. I had a mediocre steak tartare and a decent grilled sea bass. A not unhappy experience, but certainly nothing to justify the restaurant's reputation. Tables are both small and uncomfortably close together, the noise level is loud, and menus double as placemats. At least the prices are reasonable.

You won't eat badly at Pastis, but we could hardly see what all the fuss is about.

Wow, I actually had the opposite reaction, I sent the onion soup back and was so dissapointed with my tough steak I could not put it into words....that was my first NYC food experience and it was a major bummer....maybe it was a bad night! I am staying at the Gansvoort this Suday and might try it again

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective