• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Introduction....

blil

Hello to everyone. I want to thank Brad Ballinger for pointing me towards this forum.

I'm a stay-at-home dad presently in Milwaukee who has spent a number of years in both the wine industry and retail wine/spirits sales.

I've got a finished, temperature-controlled walk-in wine cellar in my basement that presently holds about 400 bottles; mostly $10-20 Italian and Rhône varietals. I used to be into expensive California Cabernet Sauvignon, but my tastes have since changed. Right now, I'm in the process of unloading most of those wines and re-investing the proceeds into "daily drinker" wines.

What else do you want to know? Up until last Thanksgiving, I had spent my whole life in the south; mostly Texas and Georgia. I have a degree in German from the University of Georgia as well as a Culinary Arts degree from Johnson & Wales. Needless to say, I do all the cooking at home. I have two girls; ages 2 and 4. Other interests include college football, reading (fiction and non-fiction), politics and history.

Bill Rosich

"Enjoy every sandwich."

Warren Zevon, 10/30/02

Welcome blil - hope you join us often.

I went to a nice wine bar last year in downtown Milwaukee across from a steak house of the same name, but can't remember either. Do you know which place I am talking about?

I've only been here a few months and do most of our wining and dining at home. So, unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the name of the place. But I can ask around and see if I can get some more info about it. Sounds like it might be a nice destination for the rare opportunity the wife and I get to go out to eat without the kids. :smile:

"Enjoy every sandwich."

Warren Zevon, 10/30/02

Welcome, blil!

Up until last Thanksgiving, I had spent my whole life in the south; mostly Texas and Georgia. I have a degree in German from the University of Georgia as well as a Culinary Arts degree from Johnson & Wales.

Um... here's a long-shot Do-You-Know: does the name Ellen Evans ring any bells?

Sorry. Doesn't ring a bell. Is she from Texas, Georgia, The University of Georgia or Johnson & Wales?

Edited by blil (log)

"Enjoy every sandwich."

Warren Zevon, 10/30/02

Sorry. Doesn't ring a bell. Is she from Texas, Georgia, The University of Georgia or Johnson & Wales?

Well, I knew it was a long shot. U of G, recently retired; but now I think of it, though she is also a German scholar she would actually have been in the History dept. - post-grad at that. Never mind. :blink:

Welcome Bill

Right now, I'm in the process of unloading most of those wines and re-investing the proceeds into "daily drinker" wines.

Sure you know what's hot and what's not. It's a growing community, I think. Those who prefer elegant sports car over shoddy (?) limos, so to say.

I have a degree in German

Dann wünsche ich Dir einen wundervollen Tag, Bill!

Best, Boris

Edited by Boris_A (log)

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Craig, the place you're referring to is Mo's Market. There's a Mo's steakhouse, and across the street, a Mo's Irish Pub and a Mo's (wine) Market. Blil, it's at 717 W. Plankinton near the river.

Also, Blil, for other wine interest in your city (I'm a Chicagoan, but a frequent visitor), look into:

Sommelier's Palatte in Shorewood (Oakland just north of Capitol, west side of street)

Coquette's Cafe - good mid-range restaurant with nice wine list

Sanford's - great high-end restaurant with a great wine list

...um, there's a small but interesting wine store on Jackson, I think, and Ogden or somewhere just west of downtown. Sorry, no name is coming to mind. Also, I remember there being a Wine Brats chapter somewhere there. Never been there, but have heard great wine things about a new restaurant called Roots, which I'll be visiting soon.

Craig, the place you're referring to is Mo's Market. There's a Mo's steakhouse, and across the street, a Mo's Irish Pub and a Mo's (wine) Market. Blil, it's at 717 W. Plankinton near the river.

Also, Blil, for other wine interest in your city (I'm a Chicagoan, but a frequent visitor), look into:

Sommelier's Palatte in Shorewood (Oakland just north of Capitol, west side of street)

Coquette's Cafe - good mid-range restaurant with nice wine list

Sanford's - great high-end restaurant with a great wine list

...um, there's a small but interesting wine store on Jackson, I think, and Ogden or somewhere just west of downtown. Sorry, no name is coming to mind. Also, I remember there being a Wine Brats chapter somewhere there. Never been there, but have heard great wine things about a new restaurant called Roots, which I'll be visiting soon.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Although I've only been here a short time I've already got the feeling that the prices and selection here are infinitely more consumer-friendly than my previous residences (Atlanta and Austin).

"Enjoy every sandwich."

Warren Zevon, 10/30/02

Welcome, Bill!

Even though you are dumping your California wines, please PM me if you decide to ever visit the Napa valley.

<as a newbie, PM means Personal Message - a form of Internal e-mail>

We hope you enjoy or stay here at the Gullet and stick around for a while!

Cheers!

Welcome, Bill!

Even though you are dumping your California wines, please PM me if you decide to ever visit the Napa valley.

<as a newbie, PM means Personal Message - a form of Internal e-mail>

We hope you enjoy or stay here at the Gullet and stick around for a while!

Cheers!

Thanks for the offer. My wife and I are trying to get a few couples we know to accompany us to the Central Coast/Paso area next spring. I don't when/if we'll ever make it back to Napa again, but if we do I'll let you know.

And FWIW, I'm certainly not dumping all my California wine. I'm a big fan of a lot of wines and wineries in California. I'm just no longer interested in the $60-75 (and more) Cabernets. I have nothing against these wines. But I came to the realization that I'd rather have a case of $10 Chianti than a single bottle of Merryvale Profile or Hartwell "Sunshine Vineyard" Cabernet.

I've still enjoy a good many Syrahs, Sauvignon Blancs and inexpensive Zinfandels.

"Enjoy every sandwich."

Warren Zevon, 10/30/02