• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zaya

Gary Tanigawa

I was in Miami this weekend and had the opportunity to buy some rum that I read about on this board, but had not seen in my local area (Wash. D.C.)

Looking forward to trying the Ron Botero Anejo, Ron Zacapa Centernario, and Flor de Caña Grand Reserve which I carried back. I did not pick up a bottle of Zaya because I had not heard about it before :hmmm: Did I make a mistake?

The Beverage Institute describes Zaya (12 Year Old Aged) Rum as:

"Rich mahogany hue. Burnt fruit spice cake nose. A rich, sweet entry leads to a sweetish medium-bodied palate with coffee, caramel, molasses, and brown spice flavors. Finishes with a somewhat thin, peppery, mocha fudge fade and a wash of wood spice. A very liqueur-like aged rum, perhaps a little too sweet for the category."

Anyone tried it?

Edited by Gary Tanigawa (log)

Zaya is defintely worth a taste. It is made in Guatemala by the same company that makes Ron Zacapa. While it is not quite as good as Zacapa it does share some of its characteristics and is better than Botran Anejo. Zacapa is ususally cheaper however. ~$35 Zacapa to ~$40 Zaya.

Salud,

Patrick