• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gustavino's

Andy Lynes

I have been pondering the state of Terence Conran's restaurant empire on the UK board, and as a result decided to read Steven Shaws review of Gustavino's, Conran's first (only?) US venture . I quote:

"Most of Conran's restaurants are in England, where you can't expect the customers to be particularly discriminating about food."

"Order the "smoked salmon plate," and you'll get British culinary cluelessness on a platter."

Why, I oughta.....!!!!  

(Edited by Andy Lynes at 10:50 pm on Oct. 10, 2001)

Andy, you weren't supposed to read that! :)

When I visited Guastavino's, it was as I reported. I should add, however, that this was quite a while ago, and I've since heard some positive reports from reliable sources. Daniel Orr, the chef, is a very talented guy. I get the impression that he was struggling against an institution that was too big for one man to tame. It's possible that he's got it a bit more under control now. Without betraying any confidences, I should add that he's sent me some very contemplative e-mails that have given me reason for optimism. Certainly, there's no question that he's a serious guy who cares very much about the quality of his restaurant.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Steven : all is forgiven.

Conran has opened some big restaurants in his time, but the scale of Gustavino's looks gigantic from the website. I don't know how many covers they do a day, but surely the sheer size of the place must introduce logistical problems, such as how to get the food from the kitchen to the diner before it gets cold.

The downstairs (casual) part of the restaurant must be a logistical nightmare because it's really, really big. Upstairs, however, the "Club" (the fine dining part of the establishment) has a visible kitchen and no more seats than the average place of that caliber. Nonetheless the downstairs (not to mention the bars and all the private party facilities) understandably might be a major distraction for even the most conscientious executive chef.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 year later...

JoonBug is hosting the following event at Gustavino late Saturday night. I have never been to Gustavino, but its decor and interaction with the structure of the bridge appear interesting. Members interested in attending should verify details with the resaturant; I believe pre-registration online is required.

"1 Hour **Champagne Open Bar** & Special Guest DJ BabyBlu JoonBug Productions cordially invites you to 'Experience Saturdays In Unparalleled Style & Class' at Guastavino's *this Saturday*. Music will be provided by DJ BabyBlu and will be a mix of hip-hop, Top 40, House, and 80's. Let the groove and atmosphere of Guastavino's 40 foot *cathedral-like ceilings* and luxurious & modern mezzanine take your Saturday nights to a new level. Come have a cocktail at the bar or enjoy VIP bottle table service on the mezzanine.

Doors open at 11 PM and there is no cover charge. Table and dinner reservations are available upon request and are strongly suggested. ...

Guastavino's is located at 409 E. 59th St. (Between 1st & York Avenues). ... For bottle service table reservations please call: (212) 255-4223 or email tables@joonbug.com"

When I asked Joonbug for more information, I received the following somewhat cryptic reply: "Yes, the champagne is free to the recipients of the email, and you can bring a friend. The open bar is first come first serve, based on capacity at the bar. Please join the guest list at www.joonbug.com so we have your

name at the door." :hmmm:

Edited by cabrales (log)

• 2 months later...

So I've made reservations at G's for a party of 12, however the hostess stated that they are

currently revamping the menu which is similar to what the website has listed, but she said with

slight variations and changes. Guastavinoshttp://www.guastavinos.com/

I also read that they closed the club up top as well. Just curious as if to anyone has been there lately

and what your thoughts were on the meal.

I've read some negative posts regarding the fact that they rush you through your meal at the end

of the night to get the dance club started, but I'm not worried about that as I'll be eating early.

Anxious to hear thoughts & comments from all you foodies...

-stan