• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tallahassee

Susan in FL

My son is in Pensacola and we're planning to meet him and his girlfriend approximately half way for a night in Tallahassee. That will be one dinner, and perhaps breakfast, brunch, or lunch the next day... What are the best recommendations? I did a little research, and Cafe' Cabernet looks good. Has anyone been there?

I've never been to Tallahassee. All info and advice is welcomed.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

As always, it's hard to answer without some guidance on your price/style/etc. But I'm in Tallahassee every year to see family. Unfortunately, we're usually eating with family while we're there, so when we get off on our own, we head for seafood. Some of our regulars:

-Cool Beanz for lunch. Sort of funky with a fun menu.

-Tails and Scales, which has been around forever. It's not fancy by any means, very old Florida menu in a strip mall setting, but they have some favorites of mine, particularly the bacon-wrapped shrimp from the old Talquin Inn.

-Paradise Grill is a sentimental favorite. It's also an old-Florida seafood house, informal setting. We get a kick out of it because my husband remembers when the building was the town teen hangout with great vanilla Cokes.

-I have heard good things about Cafe Cabernet but haven't been.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

The Cypress restaurant is the best hands down.

I did a couple of searches and didn't find many reviews. One described it as "sophisticated Southern regional cuisine in a rustic metropolitan setting." Is there anything you would add, to describe it? Thanks for the reply.

As always, it's hard to answer without some guidance on your price/style/etc.

I know... I should have specified... :smile:

We have many old-Florida seafood style restaurants where we live, so I'll pass on those for this occasion. We're looking for fine dining, but not formal. If it's exceptional food, expensive is fine. Tasty creative food, on the upscale side, real good wine selection, etc. etc. etc.

What I've read about Cool Beanz appeals to me. That could very well be our choice for lunch the next day.

Thanks!