• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1995 Jean-Marc Bouley Volnay

Brad Ballinger

1995 Jean-Marc Bouley Volnay. I picked up this wine for only about $15 on a closeout not too terribly long ago. It could've been sitting on the retail shelf for a few years depending on when it was put into the racking. But I'll spend $15 in the interest of science. The wine showed some bricking about an inch into the bowl of the stem. My wife asked, "Does this wine look brown to you?" I tried to tell her that many times that's okay, but she just gave me a sideways look (no mature nebbiolo for her!). The wine had some earthy and tart berry aromas with a trace of spice. On the palate the fruit was very attractive, if a bit lean and diluted. Acidity was good. Tannins were dusty. The sum of the parts made for an austere, yet balanced package. It did a serviceable job accompanying grilled venison sausage, and left me with a more favorable impression then I initially thought it would. Toward the end of the bottle, the fruit came on a bit more, but the structure dropped off. It's worth seeing if I can find more at the price -- next time I'm in the store (I'm not going to go out of my way).

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero