• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

50/50

JennyUptown

How I could go for one of those right now...

Any PA folks (Rich Pawlak, where are you??) on the board today? I think 50/50 is native to Pennsylvania, but I could be wrong there.

The company that makes 50/50 also puts out orange soda, cream soda and grape soda. But 50/50 was definitely my favorite.

My Polish grandmother's FAVORITE!

Here's two other sodas that I've only ever seen in NE PA:

Kickapoo Joy Juice (another grapefruity soda)

Iron Beer (like Dr, Pepper, but different).

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

At my cousin's house yesterday (in Buck's County) she had Wild Cherry Canada Dry. What's with the soda up there?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

• 1 month later...

When I was a kid (1960's), Canada Dry used to made a soda called 'Half and Half' and it was essentially a grapefriut soda. It was one of my favorites. I grew up in New York (Queens); but I used to get that soda while visiting my grandparents in Connecticut. I don't remember how common Half and Half was in New York at the time (or Canada Dry products for that matter); but there was a Canada Dry bottler right in their town (Meriden).

It seems to me that your 50/50 is a ripp off of Canada Dry's product. I'll try it if I ever find it.

Here's two other sodas that I've only ever seen in NE PA:

Kickapoo Joy Juice (another grapefruity soda)

Iron Beer (like Dr, Pepper, but different).

I had completely forgotten about Kickapoo Joy Juice. Midway through elementary school, my best friend moved to East Smithfield PA. If you know where that is.... you've really been in the sticks (i.e. going to visit Sayre or Athens was called "going to the city"). Loved that stuff. We drank it mostly because it had a cool name. Bought it from the old fashioned Coke cooler in Devoe's Red & White Grocery on the village green.