• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sabatier Laguiole Rosewood Corkscrew

Keith Talent

The concept of Junk is not a new one. Real ones wholesale for $75. Still give me my 2 stage waiters that was $15. Since I bought it, my Chateau Laguiole sits in my desk drawer. Sabatier is generic these days and no indication of quality.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Laguiole is a town in southwestern central France. It's home to Michel Bras and his inn. (Bras is one of the most highly regarded chefs in France.) They make knives there and every factory in town is entitled to call their knives "Laguiole." There's a difference in quality from one shop to another and not all parts need to be entirely fabricated in the town to allow "Laguiole to be stamped on the product. As far as I know, only "Forge de Laguiole" products are made entirely in the town and many think they are the best. The factory, designed by Philippe Starck, sits just outside town on the way to Michel Bras. Prices of models vary considerably according to detail and materials. Fifteen dollars is cheap however.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Keith, did you read the reviews on Amazon before you bought it? They're all pretty condemning. When several reviews mention that they only awarded one star because there was no lower rating... that's usually a pretty clear sign that it's a piece of junk.

--

Okay, so I got taken by Amazon.

The stupid piece of crap was in my Gold Box, that stupid icon on the top left of the page that I literally never click, ever. Well last week I clicked it and what was inside waiting? Well my new corkscrew. (For those unfamiliar with the concept, Amazon has this thing called the Gold Box, essentially blowout specials that you either need to order immeadiately upon viewing or the opportunity lapses.)

I didn't ever think to scroll down and read the reveiws, I'm not so Amazon conditioned that it would occur to me taht people would write reviews on a corkscrew. Could have saved myself som money if I had.

Stay away from this nasty piece of junk.

I'd poke Jeff Bezos in te eye with it, but the worm would probably break.