• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bianca

SobaAddict70

FWIW, I think the food is better at Bianca.  A real telltale is the chicken liver dish, which is always perfect at Bianca and always just a little overcooked at Celeste.

Last time I went to Celeste, I asked them, based on your comments, to cook the livers until just rare. They listened.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

My husband and I are coming to NYC for two nights in January. One dinner will be at Gramercy Tavern and I'm thinking Bianca sounds nice for the other. I like the idea of good, reasonably priced Italian with a neighborhood restaurant kind of atmosphere. But, I have a pesky lingering thought...we have not been to Babbo. Should we consider going there instead? Two very different experiences, I'm sure. Having a tough time making a decision. Any thoughts?

My husband and I are coming to NYC for two nights in January.  One dinner will be at Gramercy Tavern and I'm thinking Bianca sounds nice for the other.  I like the idea of good, reasonably priced Italian with a neighborhood restaurant kind of atmosphere.  But, I have a pesky lingering thought...we have not been to Babbo.  Should we consider going there instead?  Two very different experiences, I'm sure.  Having a tough time making a decision.  Any thoughts?

Let me expand on Sam's comments above. Bianca is not a restaurant for one of two nights in NYC. It is not a restaurant that lies in proximity to the orbits of Gramercy Tavern and Babbo. In fact, although I was thrilled to have such a decent inexpensive restaurant within walking distance, we rather tired of it qulckly. It's price point was always a large factor in it's appeal. With just two nights in NY, I'd look for better somewhere between it and Babbo in terms of price, if price is a factor. It may be late to make a reservation at Babbo for January.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 5 months later...

Try Teodora, which, I believe, is Bianca's sister restaurant uptown. Wonderful, and a bargain to boot. See the food article by Jonathan Reynolds in the Sunday Times on 5/23/04 featuring the owner of the two restaurants. You will also learn the identities of NYC restaurants featuring the authentic cuisines of Puglia (Bellini), Tuscany (Beppe) and Siciliy (Bussola). Too bad the regular Times food reviewers have interest only in $250 or over or $25 and under. But that is consistent with the paper's only interests: the rich, the poor and the trendy.