• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brancott Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2003

Susan in FL

Even as we speak, we are in the midst of an evening-long multi-course meal, of mostly white wine and food pairings. When I called my husband at work with the shopping list, I asked him to get a Brancott Sauvignon Blanc if he could find it, or other New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, for the mussels in a ginger and lemongrass broth I was making. He came home with a 2003 (?!). This was pretty outrageous... We opened it, smelled it, and we looked at each other. We tasted it, and we looked at each other... This wine tastes like mussels!

What's up with this?!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

:smile:i2655.jpg

I didn't mean it as a negative thing... just rather odd, and I can't say I would like this with any food. It was just a crazy good match for tonight, with this food, at this time. Also noteworthy to us was the bottle shape... like halfway between the two styles of bottles.

On the more serious side, it was quite melony, a little grapefruity, and zingy.

Yes, you go guy, flex your mussels.

We've had Bancott Sauvignon Blanc one other time, but I'm sorry to say I don't know what year. This is too much fun... I don't know if you will have any idea what I'm talking about, but anyway, let me know if you get a bottle of 2003 and what you think.

Now we're finishing our dinner with a glass of Port and some chocolate truffles. After all that white whine LOL ...this Warre's is tastying real fine.

maybe you just had mussels-on-the-brain. :smile:

I think you are right. :wacko: That's what too much white wine will do to you. It felt good to get back to red meat and red wine tonight.

Thanks for the follow-up!

As a newbie to the board, I can see that I have a lot to learn about e-gulleters.

It never ocurred to me to actual post WHILE I ate!

That being said, I am chilling down a bottle of '03 Brancott RIGHT NOW, and I also happen to have some PEI mussels in the fridge.

I will attempt to recreate Susan in FL mussel/wine experiment and post in short order. :biggrin:

edited because I am a tarrible speler

Edited by clifford (log)

Hi Susan,

I suspect the reason is the vintage. 2003 was very hot, and importantly the temperatures at night were warm also, upsetting the acid balance. the fruit in the sauvignons certainly suffered as the thin skins lead to a singeing of the underlying fruit. I have found overly ripe, soupy tropical flavours mostly, but I can see where you would be coming from with mussels.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Hi Susan,

I suspect the reason is the vintage.  2003 was very hot, and importantly the temperatures at night were warm also, upsetting the acid balance. the fruit in the sauvignons certainly suffered as the thin skins lead to a singeing of the underlying fruit.  I have found overly ripe, soupy tropical flavours mostly, but I can see where you would be coming from with mussels.

Nice to get a possible explanation. Thanks for the post.

Clifford, did you get a hint of this "match"?

I've been thinking further about this. Muscadet used to be one of the wines of choice for us to go with some shellfish dishes. It probably still would be if there were a better selection of good ones in this area. My husband just returned from a trip north, and brought a couple of bottles home with him, and one is described as having "briny notes." That makes sense ...maybe the Brancott Sauvignon Blanc had "briny notes." That sounds so much better than "tastes like mussels." :smile:

Among other things he also brought home Chincoteague oysters and tonight we're having oysters and bubbly and oysters and Muscadet de Sevre and oysters and stout. :wub:

Also noteworthy to us was the bottle shape... like halfway between the two styles of bottles.

The bottle shape is ambiguous because Brancott uses the same bottle for their Pinot Noir, which I actually like. At least the current Pinot Noir is a 2002.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

i find cloudy bay ridiculously and offensively over-priced. given the amount of wines coming out of NZ these days, there are plenty of more reasonably priced choices, often times at less than half of what you'd pay for cloudy bay. additionally, i haven't found cloudy bay's recent vintages to be all that special when compared to the 97/98 or so, when they first started becoming popular.

Edited by tommy (log)

i find cloudy bay ridiculously and offensively over-priced. given the amount of wines coming out of NZ these days, there are plenty of more reasonably priced choices, often times at less than half of what you'd pay for cloudy bay. additionally, i haven't found cloudy bay's recent vintages to be all that special when compared to the 97/98 or so, when they first started becoming popular.

There's a reason for that. Cloudy Bay is distributed worldwide by Veuve Clicquot/LVMH. They are not shy about charging.

Mark