• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meet Fritz Maytag

Squeat Mungry

Interesting article in today's SF Chronicle's wine section on Fritz Maytag (yes, of the washing-machine and blue cheese Maytags), revitalizer of San Francisco's Anchor Brewing Co., which makes Anchor Steam, Anchor Porter and Anchor Liberty Ale, among others.

Besides the brews, Anchor also produces two single-malt rye whiskeys, and Junipero gin. Maytag also bottles wine under the York Creek label. Tasting notes for all these products are at the end of the article. Maytag was honored last year by the James Beard Foundation.

Since there is no general "Beverages" forum (is there?) I thought I'd post this here since Anchor is probably his best known product.

Cheers,

Squeat

Interesting article in today's SF Chronicle's wine section on Fritz Maytag (yes, of the washing-machine and blue cheese Maytags), revitalizer of San Francisco's Anchor Brewing Co., which makes Anchor Steam, Anchor Porter and Anchor Liberty Ale, among others.

Besides the brews, Anchor also produces two single-malt rye whiskeys, and Junipero gin. Maytag also bottles wine under the York Creek label. Tasting notes for all these products are at the end of the article. Maytag was honored last year by the James Beard Foundation.

Since there is no general "Beverages" forum (is there?) I thought I'd post this here since Anchor is probably his best known product.

Cheers,

Squeat

Fritz is deserving of just about any honor that comes his way. He is an interesting guy who is interested in other things besides himself, and this is sadly a very rare combination. He took a crappy, run down brewery and in the course of 25 years or so has turned it into something to be truly proud of.

I got into the micro game in 87 and he was still futzing around trying to keep Anchor afloat, but he was more than willing to offer help and advice to anyone who approached him and he damn near always paid for the beer (my kinda guy).

The first time I met him I was a bartender in New Orleans at a place called Carrollton Station (roughly mid 80s) and this guy comes in with a couple of pals to kill some time before they went to a show across the street at Jimmy's Music Club (now sadly defunct). They ordered up some Anchor Steams and a couple of Porters and introduced themselves. It was Fritz Maytag and a couple of his brewers (including the now legendary Big Bob). To make a long story short, the beer was old and awful and they were on the payphone at the end of the bar immediatly calling the distributor wanting to know why all of the beer in the bar was out of date! ( a phone call I did not realize that I would emulate a bunch of times in later years-distribution sucks in the beer biz). Incidentally, he was the first guy I know about to use a clearly readable to anybody dating system.

Fritz promised to have it all replaced (it was) and the best part was that several weeks the distributor brought by a whole bunch of Anchor gear and a pony keg of "Old Foghorn" a barley wine that (I don't think) had not even been released yet.

A man of his word who remembers his promises. THis is a rare commodity in the world and rarer than hen's teeth in the beer biz. Good on him.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Nice article. I'm a big fan of Fritz; even named a cat after him. The guy's been a big part of my beer/wine/whiskey education.

The first Ridge wine I ever tried was York Creek zinfandel, which I sought out after hearing that Fritz owned the vineyard. I have several years of their zin and petite sirah from the York Creek vineyard. I've also picked up the occasional Ridge York Creek cab at cellar sales. I still have a few bottles of Maytag's 1995 York Creek meritage as well. We opened one a few weeks ago, and it's showing well, though still a little tannic.

I love Old Potrero, but I've only had the first one. Haven't tried the Junipero, although I've given it as a gift to gin drinkers and they've really liked it.

Of Anchor's beers, the Steam and Liberty are incredible when fresh, the Porter is a roasty, chocolatey beauty (that also makes a great beer float with chocolate ice cream), and the OSA and Foghorn are very good agers. The only Anchor beer I haven't really liked was the Small beer. it's just a little too small for me.

Here's a good interview of Maytag by The Malt Advocate's Lew Bryson, who's quoted a few times in the article Squeat Mungry posted.

Rick

What a nice article, as well as an informative one. I have a good friend involved with Capitol (Capital? not sure of the spelling) in Madison, Wis. and will send it to him. I have been buying Anchor Steam and Anchor Porter for a long time. Now that I know the same guy makes Old Portrero, I'm going to give that a try, too.

Great article! I had no idea he was in the wine business too. I'm a fan of all his beers but Liberty Ale and the Porter top the list. Took the brewery tour when I was in SF last spring. Great tour, much more informative than other tours I've been on. The copper brew kettles are impressive and beautiful. I highly recommend it -- you have to call and make reservations a few weeks in advance. Also, they're very generous when it comes to tasting time. Great website too- www.anchorbrewing.com

I'm off to buy a six of Liberty!