• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ot Barcelona

nerdgirl

Hi all. I am a new member of the boards and have been peeping around for a few days. I live in Barcelona so if anyone needs any advice or recomendations, please feel free to ask me. I am still trying to get around town and try all the places that I have on my lists. I have read a lot here about the typical restaurants, but have been surprised that no one has mentioned OT. Perhaps if I read back further I can find something... This is one of my favourite restaurants here. I wrote a little mini-review for it a while ago for my own personal use, but thought I might share it with you.

It would be interesting to hear other opinions of Ot, so please share if you have been there. Please keep in mind that I am merely a food lover - not a professional writer by any means!

ot restaurant was the location of this week's meal outting. i had never heard of this place, but fiona was dead set on going there. the restaurant only seats 8 tables per evening, so having a reservation is a must. thankfully and by some luck, we managed to get a seat the very evening that we phoned. hint: it is probably a bit easier to get reservations during off season on a week night because the place wasn't even filled during the time we were there.

on first glances the decor was a bit funky. reminded me of ikea mixed in with a children's room. light paneled wood siding with big comical fish decorate the walls. the lighting leaves something to be desired as it was a bit too bright and harsh to consider this a romantic dining venue. the tables were adorned with little blue glass marbles and following the fishy theme the dishes had sea animals on the borders.

we were greeted by a friendly staff that took our coats and let us choose the table that we wanted to sit. the wait staff quickly explained the concept of the restaurant to us which is that on a monthly basis they change their menu. the degustion menu consists of 8 courses. we were also given the choice of a wine card or having them choose for us. we opted for the second and were brought a lovely light red wine (oh and a glass of cava to start).

now, let me jump into my favourite part. the courses. each was timed perfectly and in the precise portion that would allow you to nibble, appreciate, but not gorge. the staff explained each dish in precise detail - in both english and spanish.

1st course - spring onion mousse, egg yolk and smoked salt - this came in an egg shell that was cut across the top and the insides were filled with yummy goodness.

2nd course - meat and haldy kebab with yogurt and chutney - very simple dish, but nice

3rd course - asparagus, bay prawns, arbequina olives and sage - the prawns were tempura style on top of white asparagus that was perfectly cooked - firm, not at all mushy

4th course - duck and foie consomme, pumpkin, wild mushrooms and aniseed - being a big foie fan, i enjoyed this course quite a bit. the only offputting thing was the jello anise chunks.

5th course - turbot, basmati rice and coconut, shitake and basil - the rice on this plate was divine. fiona even ate the fish (which is a miracle!)

6th course - wild boar with purple potatoes and chocolate alioli - i had never had wild boar before, it was quite nice, but as all gamey meats, chewey. the purple potatoes were a bit strange and gluelike which disturbed our poor irish lass who was under the presumption that all potatoes should be white. i didn't even taste the chocolate, but the sauce was delish.

7th course - sweet potato soup with iced grapes - nice to clear the palate. light. a bit strange, but edible.

8th course - white chocolate, curry, cardoman ice cream and muesli - nice and not too sweet.

the food was fantastic. very adventerous and creative. displayed beautifully. the staff was excellent. the lighting sucked. the desserts were mediocre. since i am not the biggest dessert fan and wasn't on a romantic evening this wasn't such an issue with me. the prices for barcelona are high, but for the quality and quantity that you receive anywhere else in the world it would be considered "una ganga" (a bargain). overall i will most certainly return. hopefully on a monthly basis since i am curious what exciting menu december will bring.

Ot

+34 93 2847752

Address

Torres, 25

Barcelona

- Stephanie

http://www.nerdgirl.com

Stephanie - The Nerdgirl

Thanks for sharing that. Welcome to eGullet. You mentioned that it was expensive for Barcelona. Do you remember how much dinner cost? We can find purpple potatoes in NY, but I'm interested in the chocolate alioli. I gather the chocolate was used very subtlly if you couldn't taste it. Over the past few years, I've had several game dishes that used chocolate in the sauce, all of them in France, by the way. In some cases the taste of chocolate was quite pronounced in the sauce. In all cases it's been a delicious success. The Mexicans have been using chocolate with meat for a long time.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The cost was €45 for the fixed meal. To me, this is a bargain. But I am American and accustomed to being ripped off for meals. The other thing that you always have to love about Spain is the affordability of the wine. It really makes a difference.

Mmmn, Mexican cooking with chocolate. I used to go to a wonderful Mexican restaurant that made the most delicious Chicken Mole. That is one thing I really miss in Spain. Good Mexican food. Any suggestions of where I can get an authentic meal? I have found a great Cuban place that plays live music and is always packed Sundays.

La Paladar del Son

Torrent de les Flors, 6

Barcelona, 08024

93 285 1740

I have a few more reviews that I have written for various places around town that I will dig up and post here.

Stephanie - The Nerdgirl

I am continually harping on the affordability of wine in Spain. The entry level prices for wine in almost all the restaurants I've been in, is far below the price of the least expensive bottles in comparable NY restaurants. The mark up on better wines seems so much less than in NY, but that may just be due to the lower retail prices in Spain. Restraurants alo seem far more eager to sell you a bottle of wine that doesn't necessarily compete with the food for attention. For the average diner who's interested in good food, but who isn't yet a connoisseur of Spanish wines, it means he can comfortably spend less on wines and learn about them from the bottom. This also makes better restaurants more affordable to many diners on a budget. By no means do I wish to imply that the sommeliers I've run across aren't ready, willing and able to help you choose a fine bottle of wine that suits your taste, it's just that I haven't experienced much in the way of upselling.

There are tremendous cultural ties between Spain and most of it's old colonies. Trade between Spain and latin countries much closer to the US is quite strong. For all that, the Latin American restaurants I've noticed don't seem particularly authentic in Spain. It's possible that I've just not passed by the right restaurants, or that Spanish diners have been too conservative for too long. There's a thread I started about Asian restaurants in Madrid that seems to highlight a new interest in foreign foods. I would think Madrid is also ready for some good Latin American food. I don't know about Barcelona, but I've always felt Barcelona was a much more progressive city than Madrid. It does appear that may be changing.

On our last visit to Madrid, I recall passing a place with a Cuban sounding name, only to peruse the menu, which read like a watered down Mexican menu--and I'm from NY, hardly the place to get good Mexican food.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

• 2 weeks later...

The typical restaurant in Spain has bottles of wine starting from around 7 Euro and going up to about 25 Euro. If you have the vino de la casa this will usually run about 5 Euro. The other fantastic thing is that during lunch time with the menu del dia the wine is usually included so you can drink away to your hearts content.

The other best kept secret of Spain is the Cava. I am addicted. It is definitely equivalent to Champagne, but obviously without all the marketing hype that makes champers so expensive. A great bottle of Cava Brut Nature usually runs about 15 Euro.

I say it all the time and I will say it again. I love Spain! :wub:

Stephanie - The Nerdgirl

• 3 weeks later...
I used to go to a wonderful Mexican restaurant that made the most delicious Chicken Mole. That is one thing I really miss in Spain. Good Mexican food. Any suggestions of where I can get an authentic meal?

Man I could NOT agree with you more.

There is an absolute dearth of good Mexican food in town. I have been dissapointed so many times now that I have basically given up.

Having lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 7 years just before moving home, I have been horribly spoiled when it comes to good Mexican food.

I am usually the one piping up about how fantastic the food is in Barcelona, and certainly nobody can argue about the quality-price ratio, but if ethnic food is your thing, this town does not deliver (and least not yet).

We Catalans dig bleeding edge "Adria-esque" cuisine, but seemingly aren't too eager for a good mole... or naan... or pho... or...

:)

Jordi

--

bcnchef@hotmail.com

Stephanie -- in an odd bit of 6-degrees, I see that we have a mutual acquaintance!

I was just browsing through your web site and noticed a photo of Gatim in one of your albums. I met Gatim through another acquaintance from San Diego last year and he has been a great source of advice and help getting our new restaurant off the ground.

Next time you see him, tell him Hi from Jordi.

J.

We Catalans dig bleeding edge "Adria-esque" cuisine, but seemingly aren't too eager for a good mole... or naan... or pho... or...

I have long thought of Barcelona as far more interesting a place than Madrid, which has always seemed so conservative. Barcelona is certainly leading the way in terms of creative food, but Madrid seems to be entering the ring. Madrid however, seems to be leading the way in terms of "foreign" food restaurant acceptance. Did you see this thread on Asian restaurants in Madrid?

There is the one thing NYC excels at, ethnic restaurants, and it's largely because we have the populations that are native to the food.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Couple of nifty Japanese places in Barcelona, though.

It's true that overall the international scene in Madrid is superior. Speaking of Mexicans, we have our (vast) share of rather inauthentic Tex-Mex taco joints, but also a few serious ethnic places, including the best two Mexicans I've ever been to in Europe: Taquería del Alamillo (don't let the touristy look deceive you - Jalisco's young Rita Sánchez cooks up a storm, and has been to the Madrid restaurant scene what Zarela Martínez meant to the NYC scene years ago!) and Entre Suspiro y Suspiro. Las Mañanitas is not too far behind, with rather unusual dishes like birria de cordero (lamb stew).

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Bcnchef - Ha! That is really funny that you know Gatim as well. Barcelona is a small world. Actually Gatim is the owner of one of my favourite spots for sushi - Soba. They have the chef Tatsumi there from Japan/Venezula and make some of the best rolls in the city. I am the biggest sushi fan, but am used to my San Francisco crazy rolls. I was very disappointed to come to Spain and find that whilst people love fish and seem to enjoy Japanese food the variety is somewhat lacking. I like to call it Sushi for Beginners.

What restaurant did you open?

Stephanie - The Nerdgirl

Bcnchef - Ha!  That is really funny that you know Gatim as well.  Barcelona is a small world.  Actually Gatim is the owner of one of my favourite spots for sushi - Soba.

What restaurant did you open?

That is exactly how I met Ghatim -- at Soba. When they were opening, those San Diego acquaintances I mentioned before walked by and went in for lunch. They became regulars and told me about it a few weeks later.

Our new restaurant isn't open yet, we just started construction after working our way through the thicket of permits (and the complete shutdown of all the government offices for Christmas...) here in Barcelona.

It is a slightly new concept for Barcelona -- a tasting menu only restaurant -- that we hope the local foodies will like.

A few more details available here.

We hope to open in May, keep your fingers crossed! Would love to see you, Bux, and any other eGulleters there!

J.

PS - In a further "small world" coincidence, I just found out that you used to work with my sister at Netscape a few years ago. In fact, after I told her about your post she told me that she actually ran into you once at Soba a few months ago...

• 5 months later...

JOrdi, reading through these posts, I went on to see your website, WOW! Looks absolutely great, living here in BCN and being a cuisine lover and working in the Hotel sector, I myself and my co workers thought we knew it all, but neither of us know the cinc sentits! Its on my list ofr my next grand dinner escape night!!! CAnt wait, and will add it onto our list to take our Hotel directors next time, running out of good places to take them.

Moltes gracies y hasta pronto

NUSSAH

Barcelona