• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine as art

Florida Jim

1998 Thomas, Pinot Noir:

When Picasso broke open the visual world in planes; when Coltrane played original stuff we couldn’t label; when e.e. cummings strung words together in some novel and unbelievable patterns – well, I can only imagine what people thought. But they responded, most in a way they hadn’t before - to something fresh and powerful and unique.

For winos on the road to enlightenment, I suggest you dismount here; if only for a moment.

The nose is indescribable but, I’ll try. If you’re looking for fruit, don’t; it is the merest hint of wafting red plum way off there in the background. Up front it’s all dirt and truffle and underbrush but its all held together with something visceral and integrating; it doesn’t so much appeal to the senses as it does to the primal nature of one’s senses.

The palate has more of the same but the fruit now plays a balancing role to all those complex intricacies the nose introduces. It’s mouth-filling and just a bit tannic but the flavors march uninterrupted from first attack through a long, incredibly nuanced, finish that reprises the nose with layers of flavor.

A ventured guess; 80% of the people that taste this will not like it. The remaining 20% may, but will be unable to articulate why. No other wine I have had even comes close.

I am drawn to it.

“It is so quite a new thing. Muscles better and nerves more.”

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com