• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue Hill and Blue Note

davidbdesilva

My wife and I drove up from Philly for an extremely enjoyable evening Saturday night (on a VERY cold night!). First we had dinner at Blue Hill...what can I say but incredible! It was packed and nice and cozy and warm on such a cold night. We loved the atmosphere, the service was very professional but relaxed and outstanding, and the food was to die for. Apps of butternut squash ravioli and crabmeat lasagne were excellent. Entress of stripped bass and leg of lamb were outstanding. We split a dessert of pear sorbet with fried filled chocolate spheres and that was OK. Dinner was paced perfectly, the food was prepared perfectly, and we had a relaxing 2 hour meal with no pressure to leave. We are working our way through some of your better restaurants and our fav was Eleven Madison Park (which was excellent), but we agreed that we liked Blue Hill better. Tables for 2 are close together but you end up having pleasant conversation with people around you.

We (hurriedly) walked over to Blue Note and had a drink at La Lanterna while waiting to get in line. We both thought the Blue Note was excellent as well. We had excellent seats (up on the first level) with a clear sight line a mere 20 feet from the performer. Lizz Wright was outstanding but we thought that only an hour was too short a set, especially for what we paid ($25pp). Listened to some of the next set, lefy NYC at 2 am and got home around 3:30 am! Well worth it for such an enjoyable evening in your fair city! This is why I truly love NYC!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Good to hear that you had such a nice evening. Just curious - was the $25pp entry fee good for both sets? If so.... that was actually a good price - lots of shows at the Blue Note are $35 - $55 pp for the evening. I really like the atmopshere at La Lanterna and it's a good afternoon place for a small salad or panini. Skip their cappuccino and espresso, however - like most of what else is available in the Village and Little Italy, it's not up to snuff.

I agree with Phaelon that $25 was a good deal, especially since you had such a good time. That's ultimately what really counts, isn't it?

Thanks for the reports.

Michael aka "Pan"

Good that your food elsewhere...

The BB King Club is run by the same group as the Blue Note. I dont' drink alcohol and usually make my $10 pp at BB King's by havign coffe and dessert (has never ben great but never bad). On one occasion I ordered a fruit and cheese appetizer platter as I was hungerier and not in the mood for sweets. Imagine biting into what was billed as "baked brie" only to discover that it was ice cold - straight from the fridge! I was amazed that they even removed the plastic wrap from the dish.

I have since gone back to just coffee and dessert on my visits there. Hopefuly the kitchen staff at the Blue Note is more carefully supervised and better trained.

Yes I was told to avoid the food at the Blue Note. Actually my wife was a little hungry and got a decent oriental stir fry salad, not bad but way too expensive. I'd like to explore other jazz venues in NYC. Where should I visit next? Village Vanguard perhaps?

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

The Vanguard is a great venue. The drinks are just acceptable, but remember: That's not why you're there. It's a kick to go to Birdland, too, but it can put a big dent in your wallet.

Consider going to the Iridium to hear Les Paul play at 8 or 10 P.M. any Monday. I went to hear him a few years ago when the Iridium was still on 63 St., but two of my students in the Jazz course I taught this semester went to hear him and loved it. I did too, when I went with my brother. The food was nothing to write home about but, again, that's not why you're there.

Michael aka "Pan"

Or go to the Sunday brunch at Iridium (eat beforehand :raz:) to hear Bob Dorough. Younger folks know his stuff from "Schoolhouse Rock," be we geezers know ALL his stuff, especially songs he did with Dave Frishberg. (The time we went to see BD there, DF happened to show up, and sit right next to us :wub::wub: )

Knickerbocker has good performers -- we've seen Billy Taylor there, and Judy Carmichael, and Joanne Brackeen -- and decent food (pretty good steak), but the crowds there will talk and talk through almost everyone. :angry:

We have not been to Sweet Rhythm since it was Sweet Basil, but knowing who the owner is -- James Brown, formerly a DJ on WBGO in Newark -- I'd trust their talent.

And then there's the Jazz Gallery; and The Knitting Factory (close enough to some good restaurants in Tribeca); and Cornelia Street Cafe, which has some interesting stuff besides jazz, and very good food, as well.

Joe's Pub at the Public Theatre is most likely the best room in town for acoustics and an intimate setting - when they have jazz it's worth a visit but get there early and get in line. It's very small and there seem to be an inordinate number of people who are already inside and seated at all the best seats and tables before us "regular folks" even get inside.

Another place worth checking out if you like the bigger band sound is the weekly gig of the Mingus Big band at Fez under Time Cafe. It's a crowded and awkward rom with low ceilings but worth tolerating if the music is good.

Most of their food is so-so but they have a really tasty "signature" pizza that consists of maple cured bacon, sliced green apples, sauteed red onion, walnuts and gorgonzola cheese.