• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Huber Bock

budrichard

Huber Bock has always been brewed in Monroe Wisconsin by a guy who commutes from Chicago, at least last time I knew. It is a good brew with a 'smokey' flavor. It started out at $6/case for returnables and gradually escalated to about $10/case. For a while it was simply not available. Now it is back in non-returnables for about $7/12 pack or $14/case. I wonder if the cost of returnables was actually more than the cost of throwaways?

BTW, it my understanding that Berghof 'Dark' is essentially the same brew and that the reintroduction of 'Augsburger Dark' is also about the same.

That is about as good a story as Miller taking Leine's from a $6/case beer to about $12/case by tacking on Miller's overhead and advertising costs. Of course Miller was also responsible for killing the Lowenbrau brand in the US! Yes, I know it is now available again but only as a light beer. When asking the importer why no dark, the answer was that dark doesn't sell. Reply, of course not, all your data is based on beer brewed in Canada.

Enough, I have to get ready to watch the Pack! Requires beer and brats! -Dick

Dick,

Your info's correct...mostly. The Huber Brewery's one of the few pre-Prohibition survivors (there are about 12 left). And yeah, returnables are more expensive than throwaways these days, with the cost of energy and replacements, and thicker glass... Berghof Dark is essentially the same brew as Huber Bock, and both of 'em are still a good deal, IMO.

But Miller didn't raise the price on Leinie's to cover overhead and advertising. Miller lets Leinenkugel run that place, they just provide loans and advice. The Leinenkugel family still calls the shots. The price went up because selling beer at $6 a case is just a fancy way to go broke.

As for Lowenbrau, Miller ruined that brand. The Canadian-brewed version never had a chance, so they've gone to the German version. Once they get its good name re-established (deservedly, IMO: the stuff's pretty good), they may re-intro the Dark.

And not to rub it in, but...You better get you some Yuengling and prepare to watch the Iggles!

Lew Bryson

I Drink for a Living

Somewhere in the world...it's Beer O'Clock. Let's have one.

As for Lowenbrau, Miller ruined that brand. The Canadian-brewed version never had a chance, so they've gone to the German version. Once they get its good name re-established (deservedly, IMO: the stuff's pretty good), they may re-intro the Dark.

But the Canadian business occurred under Labatt's watch IIRC.

"And not to rub it in, but...You better get you some Yuengling and prepare to watch the Iggles! "

Translation please! -Dick

Yuengling = PA beer

Iggles = Eagles

Our favorite local purveyor carries Huber Bock. It's one of the best values in beerdom, imho.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Another bock that I used to enjoy in returnable bottles is Point Bock from the Stevens Point Brewery, another Prohibition survivor. Not quite as deep or smokey in flavor as Huber but still a nice bottle of beer for the money. I think I saw returnable cases of Point and Point Bock at Ray's Liquor in Wauwatosa (I love Ray's) last weekend. Should be able to find this beer in Chicago and maybe Minneapolis but I don't know how far and wide their distribution network extends.

Has anyone had Leinenkugel's Bock recently? I'm not sure I have seen it in the last few years. Perhaps it is overshadowed by their other offerings.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN