• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pineau des Charentes

Andre

The fact that two words may sound the same but may mean two different wines depending on the speakers location may result in confusion, amusement and sometimes insults.

If a customer asks for Pinot and the salesperson offers pineau may mean the end of a sale for those less careful.

Some of the wines I have had since X-Mass were:

France:

Chasagne Montrachet Premier Cru, 1995 Bouchard Pere et Fils. My bottle had already her share of the pie, opening another showed a problem wityh the whole shipment.

Chile:

Montes Alpha “M” 1999

Big on a world scale. Massive with a promissing future.

Italy:

Olmaia 1994

Still young and full of tannins. Hold your horses on this one.

South Africa:

Kanonkop Paul Saur 1989.

A beautifully complex and smooth wine yet the aftertaste shows this wine is clearly over the hill.

Australia

Shiraz Baily’s Block Shiraz 1920. 1997. A rather big name for this medium bodied well made shiraz. The wine lacked complexity to earn ant appriciation on my side.

California

Cab. Beringer Private Reserve 1994.

Spain

Roda 1, Rioja 1995.

One of my favorite Rioja wines. Just sit back and enjoy the ride especially if the wine is 1994 or 1995. One of the best expressions of Tempranillo in Rioja

Israel

Cuvee Irini 1996.

Since I have named this wine after my wife, I will simply say that I enjoy ots full body and complexity.

For Dessert I enjoyed some Tokaji Oreum Vinum 5 Puttonyos 1999 and some Pineau.

The Tokaji was a lingering pleasure of complexity and balance that kept evolving in the glass for as long as I sipped.

Following is a tasting of a highly recommended pineau:

Pineau des Charentes Moulin de Merienne Blanc.

Straw towards golden color.

The nose conveys dominant cognac aromas, raisins, figs, Spanish almonds, and shelled walnuts.

In the mouth the pineau is smooth on the entrance with tingling acidity and dominant alcohol in the back and heavy damp oak bouquet.

Medium bodied smooth aftertaste with dominant nutty flavors.

The Rubis vesion :

Pineau des Chaentes Moulin de Merienne Rubis.

Amber reddish towards brownish color

Port nose, creamy toffee and caramel with little complexity.

Not my cup of tea. Too simillar to port flavors yet doen not contain the complexity of a good port.

Both versions had been aged 5 years in oak.

Craig,

Thank you for an excellent management of this forum and happy new year to all.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Cuvee Irini 1996.

Since I have named this wine after my wife, I will simply say that I enjoy ots full body and complexity.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Permission to use this line, or a similar one, with my wife...?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Cuvee Irini 1996.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Permission to use this line, or a similar one, with my wife...?

:biggrin:

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.