• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DeuS Glassware

beergirl

Hi folks!

At the invitation of our esteemed moderator (Rich), I jumped in here to see what's going on. Looks like fun!

I noticed several mentions of DeuS (great beer, BTW). I'm in need of a DeuS glass. I found one during a shopping trip to Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, VA, but need a second. There'll be no drinking of DeuS around here until my beerdrinking significant other and I both have a glass.

Has anyone seen them for sale in your beer shopping?

Cheers!

Cornelia

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

I guess the one glass/two straw thing doesn't work for beer, huh?

What did you pay for the Deus? It was a little over $20 in my local liquor store.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

If you're talking about the Deus from Bosteels, I'd suggest contacting Manneken-Brussels directly at mbinc@flash.net and asking them for a source in your region for the glasses. Distributors are going to probably be your best bet. Good luck!

fanatic...

Most (if not all) Belgian beers have specific glasses they are served in. These glasses are both branded, and have shapes that are often specific to the flavours of the beer and their traditions (see the Kwak glass for the latter).

fanatic...

What did you pay for the Deus?  It was a little over $20 in my local liquor store.

We purchased one a few weeks ago in Portland, OR, and then 2 at Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, VA. My inventory indicates they were about $25 a piece in each place. So, $20 a bottle is pretty good. Where is it selling for that?

Edited by beergirl (log)

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

Hi folks!

At the invitation of our esteemed moderator (Rich), I jumped in here to see what's going on. Looks like fun!

I noticed several mentions of DeuS (great beer, BTW). I'm in need of a DeuS glass. I found one during a shopping trip to Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, VA, but need a second. There'll be no drinking of DeuS around here until my beerdrinking significant other and I both have a glass.

Has anyone seen them for sale in your beer shopping?

Cheers!

Cornelia

Holey moley, good to see you here, Cornelia! Wake Ray up and drag his ass to the computer once in a while. It's good to see you posting here!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

What did you pay for the Deus?  It was a little over $20 in my local liquor store.

We purchased one a few weeks ago in Portland, OR, and then 2 at Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, VA. My inventory indicates they were about $25 a piece in each place. So, $20 a bottle is pretty good. Where is it selling for that?

I think the exact price was either $22.99 or $23.99, at a liquor store in Voorhees, NJ.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I saw DeuS for $23.99 at State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD, just off I-95.

But...I had my first taste of DeuS on New Year's Eve, and my bro-in-law (Carl, visiting from Richmond), my wife, and myself all found it interesting, highly carbonated, but ultimately not very enjoyable. I'm supposed to be getting a sample bottle in the mail from Manekin, and I'll give it another shot, but last night's experience was pretty negative: very dry, almost painfully fizzy, and one-dimensionally spiced. Not a winner for us.

On the other hand, the Avery Old Jubilation was great, had a sip of Bushmills three-wood that was delish (don't tell no one, but I also tipped some of this very distinguished whiskey in my egg nog and it R*O*C*K*E*D), and had a couple of VERY estery "beta version" bottles of the Clipper City Winter Storm, nice stuff, reminded me strongly of the late lamented Brimstone Big.

I also shared some "boilo" with the bro-in-law, a Lehigh Valley/PA Coal Region traditional bootleg liqueur. Boilo (and I'm not sure that's the right spelling, it's an oral tradition) is a mix of booze (usually based on bourbon, rye, or blended whiskey), citrus, and spice, sometimes drunk warm, and almost always delivered in a mason jar. We got ours from a friend in Pottstown, and it was quite tasty at 1 AM, aromatic and delicious.

A pretty good New Year's Eve, and we had another good day today. Started with 'bella and cheddar omelettes, hit the D&R Canal bike path along the Delaware for a ride with the families (4 of mine, 4 of Carl's), then came home and ate cheese (brie, 3-year-old NY cheddar, Huntsman, and some delightfully stinky goat cheese I got at DiBruno's), tapenade, guacamole, and Old Bay-spiced steamed shrimp while the pork and kraut roasted. Today we drank Geary's Hampshire (going year-round didn't hurt this venerable Ringwood strong ale), Weyerbacher Winter (good, but could be a bit bigger), Weeping Radish Winter (tasty doublebock), and a nip off a Tröegs Oatmeal Stout before I tipped the rest in the roasting pan over the kraut (sacrifices must be made: stout makes a GREAT mess of kraut). The pork was delicious, the kraut excellent, Carl's red cabbage (vegetarian!) surprisingly delicate, and another bottle of the Clipper "beta." Finished up with Burmester 20 year old tawny port, capuccino, and a big snort of Baker's bourbon.

Happy New Year, folks!

Lew Bryson

Lew Bryson

I Drink for a Living

Somewhere in the world...it's Beer O'Clock. Let's have one.

This site is where I usually get my Belgian glasses:

Global Beer Shop

They don't appear to have Deus listed, but you may want to contact them directly as I am pretty sure they supply Vintage Cellars with their stuff.

I'm still waiting for my shipment of Deus from Beverage Bistro (they are selling for $59 for a three pack). They don't have the glasses listed either but they may have some for their "beer glass collectors club" you could call them on 1-888-380-2337 - they are friendly guys and they often have stuff that isn't on their web-site.

Here is their website

Edited by theakston (log)

This site is where I usually get my Belgian glasses:

Global Beer Shop

Thanks for the idea. I've ordered from Global Beer on a few occasions. It just didn't occur to me to email and ask if they were going to have them. They just may as they have glasses for other beers from the same brewery.

• 5 weeks later...
was just cruising The Belgian Shop and they are now listing this glassware, in case you haven't been successful using the other sources.

(click on link, click on glasses then click on page 2, then get a case of westvleteren to go with it! ):wink:

Thanks. I now have a glass heading this way. A friend from London bought one while in Brugge. He will be bringing it to San Diego in April where I will take possession. What a way to get a beer glass!drinkinbuddies.gif