• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lilac in Millburn

scarlet knight

We really enjoyed Lilac in Millburn last night. For an apppetizer, my wife enjoyed the foie gras. It came with a generous piece of cooked foie gras, a terrine of foie gras, cooked apples, a dollop of sweet potatoes and a triangle of grilled toast. A very generous portion and it tasted great. Almost enough for dinner in itself. I had a lobster and crab salad with jicama and avocado. Light and refreshing.

For entrees, my wife had a crusted chilean sea bass with risotto. Generally, we don't like this fish, but it was great. It had a silky texture because it was cooked lightly. It didn't have the rubbery texture that we don't like in C.S.B. The risotto was also creamy and silky with fresh peas-- a great compliment, along with a generous dollop of halved cherry tomatoes.

I ordered the roasted duckling, which was a generous serving of leg and breast on the bone. The fresh blackberries and sauce were a perfect foil. A sweet potato cake and mixed vegetables also came with it. A refreshingly retro switch from the ubiquitous rare sliced duck breast that I often find tastes too much of liver.

As a BYO, our '99 Vosne-Romanee red burgundy complimented the meal and allowed us to avoid a big wine bill (of course, we had to buy the bottle originally).

Speaking of liver, sauteed liver was an entree choice, for those who enjoy it, but never find it on menus anymore. If you need to boost your cholesterol, this is the place!

We ordered dessert to go, since we were full. The apple pear cobbler was not so good. Perhaps it is better at the restaurant. Some things don't travel well.

If you haven't tried this place in a while, it seems that the chef and ownership may be of new and recent vintage. I recommend that you give it another try. I think that it's better than or competitive with the New American restaurants in Montclair.

I wasn't aware that the restaurant had changed hands. It used to be run by a Dutch fellow who claimed to have studied in France.

We ate there in the Fall of 2002 and were quite disappointed. Service was very standoffish, even though the place was only 50% full; Also, the portions were MINISCULE!! I still remember a $28 Shrimp entree with 5 medium sized shrimp!

If it is under new management, I would try it again. Can you confirm this?

I'm just guessing on the new management. The hostess seems to be of Russian origin and the last two times that we were there (once last month and last night), she seemed intensely interested to confirm that we enjoyed everything and that we would try the place again. She was trying to cultivate us as "regulars" with the subtle fervor of someone who was trying to improve the restaurant's attendance. Also, I confirm that our portions were very fair and the prices are maybe only a tad more than comparable places. I remember a few years ago here I ordered a bouillabaise (spelling?) that was paltry for the price. I did not find that to be the case our last two times here. It is a better restaurant than it was in past years.