• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Foodery

mrbigjas

What caught my eye at the Foodery today: Grotten Brown, from the "Pierre Celis Signature Collection."

Good god, what a great brown ale, drier than most, with a real floral, almost soapy smell, and that kind of caramel-y bitterness in the back of your mouth. It's $9.95 for a 750ml bottle and totally worth it--but be sure to let it warm up from refrigerator temp, because that's when it really takes off. Wow.

(Rich, I know you might say that I should post this to the beer forum, but I figure folks over there probably already know about it, and after all this was a discovery in town here).

What caught my eye at the Foodery today: Grotten Brown, from the "Pierre Celis Signature Collection."

Good god, what a great brown ale, drier than most, with a real floral, almost soapy smell, and that kind of caramel-y bitterness in the back of your mouth. It's $9.95 for a 750ml bottle and totally worth it--but be sure to let it warm up from refrigerator temp, because that's when it really takes off. Wow.

(Rich, I know you might say that I should post this to the beer forum, but I figure folks over there probably already know about it, and after all this was a discovery in town here).

Well, it is a local thread, and the Beer Forum has folks from all over, so The Foodery isnt going to mean much to them, but your tasting note will! I hope you can expand on your experience over there with a note about this stuff; I've never heard of it.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I've not heard of Grotten Brown either, but a little reconnaissance tells me it's made by Brouwerij Sint-Bernardus, makers of St. Bernardus Abt 12, a clone of Westvleteren 12. Bernardus is an awesome beer -- you can sometimes find it on tap at Monk's or Bridgid's. I'm looking forward to trying this Grotten Brown you speak of... it's the right time of year for those high-alcohol lovelies.

• 3 months later...

Yoinking this thread back onto page one to let folks know that I was just at Brigid's for lunch, and they have Grotten Brown on tap now. I didn't have one, but I'll be back this evening for happy hour most likely with a friend, and will report back.

As an aside, did you know they don't have ketchup at Brigid's? I've eaten there probably 20 times over the last however many years, and never knew that.

As an aside, did you know they don't have ketchup at Brigid's? I've eaten there probably 20 times over the last however many years, and never knew that.

I'm sure they just don't bring it out for YOU.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Ha, definitely. Although it was my lovely wife who was asking for it, not me.

As an aside, I'm not as enamored with this beer on tap as I was when I got those first couple bottles. It's missing something that I remember being there--it's more yeasty and alcoholic, with less of that mid-mouth malty balance.

It's a few bucks cheaper if you can make it over the bridge to Canal's (Rt 73, Marlton). I picked up a bottle about a month ago on one of my "no six packs, just big bottles" excursions. I haven't tried it yet. Your review makes me anxious to pop it open.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.