• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

93 Rockland, Petite Sirah

Florida Jim

With a plate of cold roast pork and roast beef with some humus and blue corn chips:

1993 Rockland, Petite Sirah:

Drum roll, please . . . this is the first fully resolved Petite Sirah I have ever tasted (and I have tasted quite a few.)

It’s full of particulate matter so it needs a day or two standing and to be decanted. Starting with a very attractive blackberry and plum compote nose with just the faintest accent of oak, it is full in the mouth but not weighty; structured but showing lots of ripe fruit and a nice tang; it is both harmonious and intense. A medium length finish ties things up nicely. Still has good grip but there is nothing drying and the tannins don’t detract in the least from the full, bright, clean, rich, integrated palate.

Yes, its ten years old but even so, it’s the first Petite Sirah I have tasted that I can say with confidence is, “at peak.”

About $40 delivered, at release.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com