• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2000 Gigondas, Domaine les Pallieres

kthull

Hi all. I tried a search and got overwhelmed so I hope I don't offend by posting a new thread. I've come across a 3-liter bottle of a 2000 Gigondas, Domaine les Pallieres.

I have to say that I am in no way, shape or form a wine conneisseur, so I'm curious if anyone has tasted this vintage and has anything to offer. From what I've read elsewhere online, I haven't gotten much of a sense in what I should expect taste-wise, if I should save it, etc. All I really got was that ownership changed hands a few years back and the wines suffered, but are "back on their way to greatness" ... whatever that means!

I do appreciate a good wine. For reds, my preference is Cabernet or a good Merlot. I've not been a big fan of the big earthy reds, so if that's what I have in my possesion, I'd rather find someone who would appreciate it more, especially this large of a bottle. But if I have a new experience awaiting me, then I would love to serve this at Thanksgiving.

Thanks so much!

Gigondas can sometimes taste a bit wierd to people who haven't drunk it before. I haven't drunk this particular wine. The wine maker is a well-known producer of good Gigondas, and 2000 was a good/great year for Southern Rhone. So this should be a very good Gigondas, but some people don't like that sort of wine. It can have a sort of tobacco smoke, bbq sauce smell. I like it sometimes. Maybe someone else can give you some more specific help.

As I am a fan of Gigondas and large format bottles, I say buy it depending on how well it is priced. I love them with roasted and grilled meats. In large formats they age gracefully and make quite a conversation piece for dinner parties of 6 + people. If you have a good cellar, this wine should age nicely in this size bottle for 8+ years. IMHO, of course.

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Domaine Les Pallieres 2000 Vieilles Vignes 75cl, Gigondas, Rhone

This is the finest estate in Gigondas, sitting in its own glorious hidden bowl. Les Pallieres supplies some of the top restaurants in France and is now back on form. Daniel and Frederic Brunier from Vieux Telegraphe are now proprietors of this wonderful estate. The vintage at Les Pallieres is always later than at Vieux Telegraphe so they have time to finish the vintage at Chateauneuf-du-Pape before moving on to Gigondas. Already a very good wine, Les Pallieres can, once again, look forward to star status. The wines are bottled unfined and unfiltered.

Price:  £13.99 Including VAT at 17.5%

Great wines from a ( now ) top producer at still fair prices. Buy now, because when these wines start getting the reviews they deserve, the price will go up.

I barrel sampled this wine, but haven't drunk it recently, please post tasting notes.

wine is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
Ted Cizma

www.cheftedcizma.com

Don't remember if I've had that vintage, but the producer is excellent. Fantastic Gigondas. As the US importer says (approximately) "Pallieres proves that a huge wine can also be subtle."

EDIT: The US prices I've seen are around $26-28/750ml, so approximately the same as the UK price, depending on how far the dollar's gone down the toilet by the time you read this.

Edited by badthings (log)