• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stoke-on-Trent

thom

Here's a challenge for you:

If (all hypothetical at this stage) I took it upon myself to want to eat out in (or around) Stoke-on-Trent how and where would I go about it?

Michelin, AA, Hardens, Time Out, Good Food and even the mighty t'internet have all struck blanks, so please help me out. God help me I'm depending on you lot...

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

The response so far has confirmed my worst fears.

Except the one about clowns.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Three words: North Staffordshire Oatcakes. Get thee to Hamil's Oatcake Shop (sorry, don't know the address but I've put a link to the Oatcake website and the address is listed there). Order yourself a "Whopper" and you'll get yourself a warm and filling meal all wrapped in the traditional flatbread of "the Potteries". And if you get there, tell them that Kit, the Californian who was interviewed by the BBC at their shop (long story), sends a very warm hello (if the owner is the same guy I met who took the place over in 1998). And if you go to Glenn & Sue's, tell them the same.

North Staffordshire Oatcakes

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

'Oatcakes'...?

I'm genuinely intrigued.

Cheers

Thom

• 2 months later...

Kit,

I hate to admit it, but I chickened out. I was hoping to meet a friend based in South Derbyshire on my way back from London (Stoke being one of the stations on the London-Manchester route) but in the end we met at a later date in Buxton instead (not far from my home town of Glossop).

Buxton is actually an intriguing one as regards food and drink. It is quite a well-off town, with a fantastic architectural heritage, and a glorious position in the middle of the Peak District which makes it quite touristy (the Buxton mineral water brand helps too).

So far though, the restaurants have been poor, with those that are there offering quirky interpretations of what was fashionable 'posh' food 20 years ago (think the Fawlty Towers Gourmet Evening). It was at one of these places that I happened to eat in, and the meal was friendly, patchy, and in places bizarre (local lamb was very good though).

Lately things seem to be changing. Buxton is becoming a popular commuter town, the beautiful Georgian crescent and spa are bing refurbed with a luxury hotel added, the stunning domed Devonshire Hospital now houses the University of Derby hospitality department and even Pizza Express has opened! I offer the latter not as a solution to the dearth of decent places, but those PE boys do have nose for money, and if a 'play it safe' corporate like them decides to open it normally means an area is upwardly mobile.

So, I avoided Stoke, but I still didn't manage to avoid a mediocre dining experience.

Cheers

Thom