• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1995 Château Beau-Séjour Bécot

tjaehnigen

1995 Château Beau-Séjour Bécot

This was tasted at the November 2003 DC Crü event

This was a nice Bordeaux. It hid its secrets pretty well, though. It was still tight and only just started to reveal its inner workings near the end of the bottle. I got senses of thicket, hawthorne, licorice and soapstone. This all led me into fairly burly and tight fruits that fought me every step of the way as I tried to pin down what spices I was smelling but never could. This will be great in another 3-4 years, IMO. This is worth 90+ TJ points presently, with a good bit of possible upside.

(Jaimetown’s TNs)-- Very nice St. Emilion - it could use a few more years in the bottle, but was quite approachable.

(Fred’s TNs)-- This was an elegant & classic St Emillion. Took some time to open up but luckily no one was in a hurry so this just got better and better. You could notice the tannins really disapate from this wine and it really opened up with great earthy characteristics with hints of vanilla.

(Dinwiddie’s TNs)-- While I liked it a lot, it is just not ready. It needs a couple of more years at least. It has nose of berrys and spice and cinnimon, lots of fruit and a long finish. In a few years this is going to be a stunner.