• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desolation Brunch

It's Sunday morning. You were up far too late last night, drinking far too much. You're hungry and groggy, your head probably hurts a bit and your stomach is a bit tender. You need comfort food. You need Desolation Brunch.

In my four years in Seattle I've not yet really found anywhere satisfactory for this yet. The *big* caveat is that I've not had a car very long so I haven't explored much outside of Cap Hill and am looking for suggestions on places to go. I've been to Glo's and while it's tasty it doesn't quite do it for me. Coastal Kitchen has very tasty food though their omelettes always have a bit of a strange consistency. They do have fantastic hash browns though. I've been to Hattie's Hat ages ago and I recall it being good but not earth-shattering. I guess that for me Desolation Brunch is about comfort food - dairy, carbohydrates and maybe some protein, everything fresh, everything tasty. It should settle a stomach that's recovering from tying a few too many on and leave me contented.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, when I lived in Brooklyn my favorite spot were the following:

Theresa's (Montague St., Brooklyn Heights) - This was our favorite spot for Desolation Brunch -- I'd usually get an order of peppery potato pierogen, a plum butter blintz (light and crispy on the outside and divinely rich on the inside), a bottomless cup of coffee and a tall grlass of incredibly-fresh orange juice. They opened up a branch in Manhattan on 2nd Ave. & 6th St. but we felt it was never quite as good as the Brooklyn one.

Le Gamin (Front St in DUMBO very briefly but the more established branch was on... 6th or 7th ave and 13th St or so, though my memory may be off). Fantastically good crepes, big *bowls* fo cafe au lait and some of the worst service I've ever encountered (what sort of French creperie runs out of goat cheese during brunch on sunday?) but so worth it.

Greek diners (usually the one right at the exit from the Brookyn Bridge but really any would do) - Some sort of egg or pancake dish and usually disco fries (or at least gravy fries. Nothing was ever excellent but the menus were huge and pretty much everything was pretty decent.

So, where do you go for recovery of body and soul?

[edited for spelling]

Edited by Placebo (log)

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

I'm a Hattie's Hat fan myself, but have you tried the Crocodile in Belltown? Surprisingly good breakfast. Also Cafe Flora, though vegetarian, make fantastic cheesey grits and a few other items for weekend breakfast (tip: steer clear of anything with fresh fruit other than orange juice).

Afterall, if you're truely after the Desolation Brunch, "earthshattering" would be contra-indicated, no?

Cafe Campagne - big bowl of cafe and over the top french toast?

Portage Bay Cafe (U-district) for eggs scrambled up with a whole mess of stuff, decent fresh potatoes grilled and spiced, good coffee. Also a breakfast bar of fruit and toppings for the line up of pancakes and crepes and such.

I like Jitterbug Cafe - on 45th in Wallingford - same people as Coastal Kitchen, eat at the tiny bar and watch the cooks.

Maybe i've lived in Asia, much to long. But my destination for Desolation Brunch lately has been the, "Canton Noodle ", restaurant just north of Main Street on 12th Avenue, [not the same as the place in ID] where the serve superior, Chook or Congee [Rice Gruel]. I prefer Fish, or Kup Dai, with some Fried Bread very comforting and satisfying. Plus they have very convienient parking.

My next choice would be getting to the closest, "Dim Sum", place, waiting for a carte to pass, and just pointing at things. It doesn't take long to bring me to alert status. Watching the carts for something interesting, it seems like i'm back in the mood. "Desolation", just became, "Destination".

If i've got to go, "American", for my Brunch, theres no place better to me then, "Bakers Restaurant & Fountain", at 12534 Lake City Way since 1929.

There I'd order a authentic, "Monte Cristo Sandwich", with home made french fries and delicious Jam on the side or any type of Old Fashioned favorite. Really hit's the spot. In a place like Seattle, i'm alway's surprised that this family owned and operated restaurant is so often overlooked as it's been consistant forever, doing what the do, very well.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Mm.. congee - I haven't had any since I was in Hong Kong years ago. Made a great start to the day but I think that for Desolation Brunch I'm looking for something a bit richer. That said I'll be checking out the congee situation regardless.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Mm.. congee - I haven't had any since I was in Hong Kong years ago.  Made a great start to the day but I think that for Desolation Brunch I'm looking for something a bit richer.  That said I'll be checking out the congee situation regardless.

What could be richer then a authentic. "Monte Christo" made with Egg Soaked, fresh baked bread, Sliced Ham, Cheese, Sliced Fresh Turkey, Powdered Sugar, Jam and French Fries ?

Well maybe, "Suey Kow", in addition to your Congee, or Steamed Pork Liver or Kidney's ? Ummmmmm. !

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

hmm its been awhile, but I remember loving the brunch at Palisades, of all places. They do a buffet and you can get hot off the griddle banana macadamia nut sourdough pancakes with apricot butter and real maple syrup. and its an all-you-can-eat affair. really tasty.

Lowell's also might fit the bill for what you are looking for, and nothing is more soothing that looking out over the sound when eating that recuperative breakfast.

but for me, the creme de la creme would be Cafe Campagne, possibly the oeufs meurette w/foie gras sauce because it comes with pommes frites ;-)

Born Free, Now Expensive

Voula's. It's on Northlake under the Freeway Bridge on the university side --in the same block as the Northlake Tav. Desolation brunch is a plate of their hobos. Hashbrowns mixed up with eggs, onions, mushrooms, sausage and cheese melted over the top--just be sure to ask for them extra well done so they'll be crispy enough. With a side of warm pita bread. Or any of their omlettes. Or just a side of hashbrowns, extra crispy, with onions on top. All that's missing is a little tabasco and they give you a choice of red or green.

Unless I'm in Seattle on business, every morning there I'm hungover and looking for some where to eat. I've always liked the 3 (2) Bells tavern. I don't really know why, the food is good but not great. They have tasty beer though. I also have had great luck at Cafe Campagne though. They seem to have very sympathetic staff. I think that's important when you are hung.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/