• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

25 for $25

I often ask, but sometimes I just sneak the paper menu insert into my purse.  :huh:

~A

Hahaha. You realize now that at every eGullet event we attend together, I will expect that you will hijack a menu for me too. :raz:

Or I'll just hijack one and make copies. Or give it to you once I write it up. :biggrin:

~Sticky Fingers (fka Scorched Palate)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Where have I been!? :blink: I collect take-out menus all the time from lower-end places or whenever I see them. It never occured to me to ask for, or, like someone whose name shall not be mentioned, (Scorched Palate), take one from a higher-end place. Wow, what a great idea--I'll be doin that from now on too. I just love reading menus!

Jan

*edited to add comma and soften theivery sentence, he, he.

Edited by SeaGal (log)

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

...like someone whose name shall not be mentioned, (Scorched Palate), take one from a higher-end place...

You know, I think I acquired this nasty habit in San Fran, where I was routinely refused copies of menus (usually with a curt explanation that these items were proprietary -- yeah, like I am going to open a place with the same menu tomorrow).

I am also wary of the kind of "tacky tourist" treatment that Girl Chow mentioned, which has happened to me in the past (though not in Seattle), or the converse... where they think you want to go back and meet the chef and join his permanent fan club just because you asked for a copy of the menu.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

• 2 weeks later...
We bought a half-bottle of the Domaine Drouhin pinot noir. (We were going to try the St Innocent on vengroff's recommendation, but they were out of it. Just as well--the Drouhin, which we'd had before, is excellent.)

Sorry to bring up an out-dated topic, but Pete's Wine Shop in Bellevue is selling the 750ml size of Domaine Drouhin Pinot Noir for $31.99. It's the best price I've seen around.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera