• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chengdu

lano

On saturday, went to Chengdu w/ a group of four and was very disapointed--while I think the restaurant has declined sharply in the past 10 years in many aspects, I may finally have to take it off my short list of standby restaurants.  The problem is that there seems to be a lack of edible chinese restaurants in the Montclair area.  I'm utterly sick of the typical yellow signed, choose-by-picture menu's chinese restaurants that seem to dominate the area.

At any rate, let me continue about Chengdu.  Had a 7:00 reservation-- arrived 15 minutes early.  Was told that the table would be ready "in just a few minutes".  However, with the ridiculous # of people in the waiting area, I was a bit skeptical.  Unfortunately I was right-- finally seated @ 7:45.  We would have left,. however, i knew we'd never be able to get seated anywhere else on a saturday w/out a wait.  Anyway, we sat for 15 more minutes before getting menus and another 15 to order.  This was by no means leisurely dining-- the dining room was packed.  Also, the acoustics are terrible-- it is extremely loud; couldn't even hold a conversation.

On to the food-- ordered the following:

spicy dumnplings-- very good; steamed dumplings in a mirin, rice wine, soy and garlic broth.  one of the few good things

springs rolls-- terrible, greasy, flavorless

chicken soon-- this was good as well;  diced chicken and peas served in a lettuce leaf, w/ plum sauce.  Delicate dish, but good

shrimp toast-- once again, greasy, soggy.  Overall, i think they have issues w/ fried food.  

On to dinner:

Peking duck-- soggy skin, which basically ruins the dish for me

celestial chicken rolls--this used to be one of my faves, but was a disapointment.  this is rolled chicken filled w/ shrimp lightly fried in a batter w/ a spicy szechuan sauce.

some shrimp dish which isn't even worth mentioning

lo mein-- usually this is relatively light for a noodle dish, but was greasy.

Overall, a dramatic decline in service and food.  Undoubtedly this can be chalked up to "trying to pump out too many dinners". I can't believe that this place is still ranked #1 in NJ for chinese food.  Has anyone had similar experiences or am I being too picky?

Where else can I go for an asian fix in the Montclair area?  BTW, Thai Chef has already been nixed for similar reasons, ie overexpansion.

Thanks

lano

Try Hunan 46 on Rt 46 E in Fairfield. Also, in Livingston try Ocean King. Mr.Chu's is on Rt. 10 in Hanover and there is a new Bill and Harry's or Harry's and Bill ?? opening up in Livingston where Friendly's used to be. Are you coming to the eGullet Chinese dinner on Sunday? That is a place worth driving to.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

two words:  china 46.

probably not more than 25 minutes from montclair.  there are various discussions on this place including this link.  Click me

you'll never have the urge to go to chengdu again.  you see, i care so little about the place that i probably can't even spell it.

i agree with your assessment of thai chef.  they are a victim of themselves.

and don't forget little saigon in nutley for the best vietnamese in the state.

Been to Bill and Harry's many times not bad but sometimes cramped.  I'll probably try the new one.  Have never been to the one in Fairfield-- where is it?  I grew up there.  

Unfortunately, I'm unable to make it to the dinner-- will be out of town on business.

I may have to limit my asian eating to nyc unfortunately--

BTW-- just found this board recently and it is great

Where's Little Saigon? This sounds like it could be a candidate for a new standby asian rest.  

I'll have to make a trip to China 46-- it sounds great.

Also, just recently ate at Deja Vu-- had a couple good dishes, but overall, it was a bit lacking.  Also, service was very amateur.  I'm not sure I like the new French-Thai fusion restaurants that are popping up.  No one seems to be able to do it well.  I work on 57th near Le Colonial-- clients rave, but I'm not a big fan.  It sounds interesting, but have never had a spectacular meal at one of these places.

little saigon is on franklin ave in nutley (the main drag).  very close to montclair.  cheap and byo.  

i went to deja vu twice when it opened.  it was always too crowded for me, although i remember the food being pretty tasty for the most part.  

i can't deal with le colonial, if only because it's so expensive and the food just isn't that good.  i think 20-somethings on expense accounts find it very exciting.  i'd much rather go to a hole-in-the-wall vietnamese place for much better food.  there is a place called vermicelli up on 2nd ave and 76th or so.  is a tiny tiny bit "upscale" vietnamese, but it's very good.  and they have a decent enough wine list, which you don't find at the typical hole in the wall.

there is good thai on first ave at about 49th/50th if you're in that area.  i forget the name, but find it pretty damned good for that area.  

also, you might want to look into Tao, on 58th btwn mad and park.  it's "asain", which means sushi, thai, chinese, vietnamese, et al.  it's actually quite good, and the room is stunning.  best if on someone else's dime.

tommy,

as a 20 something (barely) on an expense account (btw, if I knew how to use one of these smiley faces, I would put one right here), I can assure you that Le colonial just ain't that good.  Not a bad bar scene, but that's a different topic altogether.

I am a big fan of tao, however, I go way too often-- I work 2 blocks away and often entertain clients there.  While I agree that the food is very good, sometimes it's way too much of a scene.   Great apps...however when I'm there, I feel like I'm in a Raiders of the Lost Ark movie...

Generally, when I go for myself, I tend to stick to places that are good, regardless of trendiness.  A "hole in the wall" is right up my alley.  Sometimes, I don't mind cr@ppy service if the food is phenomenal.

Little Saigon will be my next try in NJ--

if you're going to little saigon for dinner, i'd call for reservations.  it's small, and it gets filled up.  and don't forget that it's byob if you plan on wine or beer with dinner.

i've only been to tao for lunch, but i've heard dinner is very much the meat market.  i can only imagine.

Hunan Cottage is on US 46 Eastbound in Fairfield, on the western outskirts of Fairfield. Ask for the "Chinese menu." BYO.

I would suggest (from the east) exiting 46 onto Clinton Road, and proceeding to Oak Road (right bend) at the Coastal Gas station. Oak dumps you out at Bloomfield Avenue, right on Bloomfield, and right onto 46 East. HC is just past a large gas station, HC has a black and white panda on the front lawn.

Or take 46 west, pass the place, make a U at Hook Mountain road, and return.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Hunan Cottage is what Rosie meant, I'm sure, not Hunan 46. On a scale of 1-10, I would say that China 46 is 10, Hunan Cottage is a 9; Noodle Chu (Rt 46, Hong Kong/Cantonese) & Mr. Chu (Rt 10 - Gourmet Chinese, What Bill & Harry used to be) are about 8.5.

On this scale the standard local chinese place would be about a 5, the better ones above that, the lesser ones below. Take-outs with yellow fried rice would be 1's!

BTW - Bill & Harry isn't owned by Bill & Harry anymore. Harry is Harry Chu, who owns Noodle Chu & Mr. Chu. I don't know anything about the new one in Livingston. Ask if it is owned by Harry Chu if you go.

PS - to make a smiley face you click the smiley face you want from the bunch to the left of the reply window. This will put the smiley at the end of your reply, so it is best to add them as you go. If you try to add one to the middle of your text you will have to cut & paste the code into the proper place.

If you do make it to China 46 (my friends who live in Nutley find it easier to get to than Hunan Cottage), here's some ordering advice. First, stick to the more authentic sounding dishes, don't get anything from the "Rich Tradition in America Section." Cecil is the very friendly host. He speaks English very well. Tell him you heard about the place on eGullet, he's read the threads about the restaurant and knows of us. Allow him to suggest dishes (they may be the more expensive ones, but will be good). Here are some of our favorites:

- Pork Soup Dumplings (juicy buns)

- Pan Fried Shanghai Buns (Jason calls them "crunchy puffy buns")

- Spicy Capsicum Cellophane Noodles (served cold)

- Ruby Pork (only order if there's at least 5 of you, it's really big) with Sesame Buns

- All of the Crab, lobster or jumbo shrimp in shell dishes; and any of the fresh steamed fishes (ask Cecil what's the freshest and to prepare it the most appropriate way)

- You won't be disapointed with their Peking Duck!

- The Fried Rice with the raisins in it (I don't know the name)

- Stir Fried Rice Cake with Pork (noodle coins)

- Stir Fried Shanghai Noodle

- They do all the vegetable dishes really well. I particularly enjoyed the Shanghai Baby Bokchoi (as opposed to regular baby bokchoi), Cecil usually brings us a different veggie dish each time we're there.

All this is making me really hungry for this restaurant. I'm going there now! Anyone want to meet us there at 7PM?

In the Montclair area, China Gourmet can be pretty good, and authentic (depending what you order). It's right beside Pal's Cabin in West Orange. Like many Chinese restaurants, there is a separate more Chinese menu. They also have good Dim Sum.

Thanks all for the help-- I've got a few good places to try.  

I haven't been to China Gourmet by Pal's Cabin in about 10 yrs-- copletely forgot about it.  I've only been to the dim sum brunch, but remember it as being very good.

Little Saigon will be the first place I try--maybe tonight, barring my meeting w/ my accountant running way too long.